Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Capiche 50.... Whats the opinion...

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Capiche 50.... Whats the opinion...

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2003, 11:36 AM
3Style

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Capiche 50.... Whats the opinion...

I was wondering if anyone saw the Capiche 50 fly at Sandown and if so what they thought of it.

Ive had a bit of a look through the other thread but its too long for me!

Just wondered if anyone had an opinion on

a) How they looked, i.e. at Sandown or wherever you have seen them?
b) How they perform if you own one or have flown one?

I am interested in this plane and am willing to build if I get a good result... from the website it looks non too complicated to go together, and I followed the build it thread someone is doing (very thorough !) and Im a bit fed up of spending good money on ARTF models that claim to do the book at low weight but then invariably come in heavy or not built with a true 3D pilot in mind... y'know like hinge lines and chamfer not good, ali u/c and all that stuff.

Wanting something of this size to practice manouvres on and have fun instead of my 2m model. (Majestic ! Mmm - and now theres a bloody Synergy 140 ! Just my luck !)

Thanks for any help
:bananahea
Old 05-24-2003, 02:11 PM
Rob Roy

The models at Sandown all looked good, although they were all in the hands of very good pilots.

They seemed to fly the same style of aerobatics that the Synergy was producing in the hands of Christophe. Extremely good knife edge and torque rolling displayed, as well as good flicking and tumbling characteristics.

Difficult to say which engine performed best, as none of the models looked short of power. Looked more fun than the Hypes, but not a lot better than a Kyosho Majestic that was also demo'd.

I feel that the true cost of building a Capiche will be around 120 to £130. The flight performance looked worth it if you have the time.
Old 05-24-2003, 03:52 PM
DominicM

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Yup. And at £120 to £130 IMHO it's overpriced compared to some good 3D ARTFs that are out their. I brough a 3D Giles from Flair for just over £100. They had upgraded the hardware where required. (A first). And it took me 1 day to put it together. Awesome. Next I'll get the Irvine Wildcard/ModelTech Extra/Flair 3D Cap. I've got to have a high fun/build ratio. I don't enjoy long hours putting models together.

Found it amusing seeing the people who had paid £65 for the CNC kit at Sandown carrying their formers and ribs around in a little transparent bag.
Old 05-24-2003, 04:17 PM
Sprink

I can't say I was overly impressed at Sandown. I saw one of the two that separated from the wing. I know that a note about that has been put on the Capiche website, but it doesn't look good to me when you plane falls apart in the air when you are trying to sell it. I was thinking about getting one up to that point.

On the other hand, there aren't many other options available in this size that arnt ARTF. The only other I can think of is the Seduction Freestyle.
Old 05-24-2003, 05:28 PM
3Style

I heard about the wing coming off, and whilst I take your point about not looking good I think Im pretty satisfied with the explanation I have seen.

I had a Flair Giles actually, and was a bit disappointed. Came in a good bit heavier than they suggested and didnt find the surfaces were big enough for decent 3D Aero.

The Majestic is okay yeah but its all fast stuff, again the surfaces arent big enough for proper 3D, not like its big brother !

I see the Wildcard and the Mod Tech Extra as fun flies and not 3D Aero.

I think you are right that there is not much out there though in this bracket, not really.

Rob:
"I feel that the true cost of building a Capiche will be around 120 to £130. The flight performance looked worth it if you have the time."

Mmm this is what Im thinking.... Frankly Ive been disappointed with the results of ARTF so far in thie category of plane. I would rather spend twice as long as it takes to build an ARTF if Im gonna get something that does what it says on the tin if you know what I mean !

I see they are doing kit deals now.

Thanks for the feedback... Im undecided..... I take your point about the skilled pilots but surely that proves the capability and so I should be able to do some of it and work on achieving the others.

Keep the feedback and comments coming please....
Old 05-24-2003, 08:34 PM
cabanestrut2002

I feel that the true cost of building a Capiche will be around 120 to £130
i am building aq capiche 50 but im cutting the wood myself!
cost about 35 quid in wood altogether.
cnc pack is 70 quid, your choice.

can't say I was overly impressed at Sandown. I saw one of the two that separated from the wing.
most of the models at sandown were built in a rush(try 1 weeK )
and the 2 that had the wing seperate were because of this, neglecting to put in packing between wing bolt plate and top of wing put concentrated stress on one area.
trust me , theres nothing wrong with the design of this model

IMHO it's overpriced compared to some good 3D ARTFs
if you are a decent builder then there is no way that a small vietnamese child on pennies a day can build a better model than you could. (only joking of course, but you know what i mean

the capiche 50 has been tested with all sorts of set ups, the lightest being a shade over 4 lb and the heaviest being about 5lb 5 oz. depends on engine/pipe/servos etc/ how much glue)

dont take offence to any of this, its just my opinion

fly capiche website
Old 05-24-2003, 08:39 PM
cabanestrut2002

besides all that, show me an 'A FART T F' model that is this damned sexy....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	81126_20111.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	47795  
Old 05-24-2003, 09:16 PM
Pro3D

quote (i am building a capiche 50 but i am cutting the wood myself!
cost about 35 quid in wood altogether.
cnc pack is 70 quid, your choice.)

Do not forget the cost of tank, wheels, covering, push rods, clevis's, hinges etc and the amount of time you are spending on the "build".
If you hover it on your first flight and crash it, all that time is wasted.
If you buy an ARTF and do the same thing, its only money down the drain.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder !!!

Guess where your radio equipment and most engine's are now manufactured !!

Anybody actually flying one yet ?
Old 05-24-2003, 09:16 PM
mikey-3d

3style
im one off the capiche team who flew at sandown with the irvine 39 version,the reason for the other models to part wing was only due to wing bolt size i:e the bolt was to large for brace thus weakening it.there is definitly nothing wrong with the design at all.mine is still the mk1 which ive been flying and testing this model from the start,and it has been put trough its paces,this is deffinitly a serious toy to fly pattern style and 3d all in one.a really good design from malcolm corbin.
mike
Old 05-25-2003, 06:44 AM
DominicM

Originally posted by 3Style
II had a Flair Giles actually, and was a bit disappointed. Came in a good bit heavier than they suggested and didnt find the surfaces were big enough for decent 3D Aero.
We can't be talking about the same Giles ! I'm talking about the new Giles 3D. It has barn doors for ailerons.
Old 05-25-2003, 08:19 AM
3Style

We can't be talking about the same Giles ! I'm talking about the new Giles 3D. It has barn doors for ailerons
Ohh that one..., it looks more like a fun fly to me... and the scheme is nasty too..

If you hover it on your first flight and crash it, all that time is wasted.
Arguably you should not be doing that... the plane isnt marketed as a prop hang trainer after all ! I would see this plane being bought by experienced 3D Aero pilots if they are going to attempt that sort of manouvre.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder !!!
True, and the one pictured is not my favourite I agree, but its better than some of the ARTF schemes you get. And of course its individual.

i am building aq capiche 50 but im cutting the wood myself!
You must be mad ! or have far more time available to you than cash possibly...

this is deffinitly a serious toy to fly pattern style and 3d all in one.
This is what I am looking for.... and the reason for putting up this post, to determine if the model is indeed capable in this way with alternative set ups or whatever. As I said at the start a small model with Majestic (and not the 1400 Kyosho one)/ Synergy 140 3D type attitude. I know it wont be as good as those planes cos its only small but you know what i mean.

Many ARTF 3D models I see on the market are closer to fun fly and not so good for pattern'ish smooth stuff aswell.

Anybody actually flying one yet ?
Thats exactly the people Im calling for... Anyone else out there? or maybe its too soon.... it only got launched at Sandown didnt it ?!

Thanks for the feedback so far boys..
:thumbup:
Old 05-25-2003, 12:14 PM
DominicM

Originally posted by 3Style
Ohh that one..., it looks more like a fun fly to me... and the scheme is nasty too..
Yeah...right...so save some build time and buy a Lark or something similar.

Originally posted by 3Style You must be mad ! or have far more time available to you than cash possibly...
So £150 and 50 hours+ build time makes you....

Originally posted by 3Style This is what I am looking for.... and the reason for putting up this post
These are the questions you asked...

a) How they looked - IMHO looked expensive
b) How they perform if you own one or have flown one - IMHO like any other small 50 size 3D/pattern model
Old 05-25-2003, 10:09 PM
Archie

Ditchit;
"These are the questions you asked...

a) How they looked - IMHO looked expensive
b) How they perform if you own one or have flown one - IMHO like any other small 50 size 3D/pattern model"

Ditchit, everyone is entitled to their opinion which is cool, but;
a) how do you determine that an aeroplane looks "expensive" in flight? I believe the original question was about how it looked in action.
b) How many other "small 50 size 3D/pattern models" are there out there, and have you actually flown a Capiche 50 ?

50+ hours build ? What makes you say that ?

3Style, I am involved with the Capiche 50 project so I shall not give you any opinions as they will be deemed biased... I can only try to pose factual questions or try to offer factual replies.

Feedback from Capiche owners is now beginning to come through by email to the Capiche website, so that will be presented in due course on the site..

Good luck and I hope you find what you are looking for.... The Capiche 50 will feature at other UK shows throughout the year so keep your eyes open as they say !

cheers
Old 05-25-2003, 10:53 PM
Welsh3D

chillout guys!
Old 05-26-2003, 12:36 AM
cabanestrut2002

You must be mad
yep :spinnyeye
Old 05-26-2003, 07:12 AM
Archie

Default Cool

Nathan, its okay I think everyone is cool...

Now off to the workshop to put my Capiche on charge for a bit off a dabble this pm.

see y'all.

Old 05-26-2003, 08:33 AM
3Style

Default Hello again

Archie, thanks for your honest feedback - much appreciated, and to ditchit for your opinions - I'll put you down as one that aint keen on it then!
Thanks for the suggestions but Im not keen on the Lark either - Im wary of ARTF weights when you pay affordable money - y'know you get what you pay for an all that, and weight in my view is even more critical when you come down in size and expect comparable performance.. hence I figure I need to build myself.

I have never had an ARTF plane that performs as well as one which I have built myself, but there is of course compelling reasons why its not worth building if you just want a fun model. Im looking for something that will give me a little bit more. Ive ordered a Synergy 903D as a practice plane, but still want something smaller that I can fly like the bigger ones but is easier to chuck in the car....

As I said I like the look of the Capiche but am keen to hear about fliers feedback and spectator feedback....

ANY CAPICHE FLIERS OUT THERE PLEASE COME AND TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK !

Cabane strut ! Well done you, rather you than me !

Archie, was yours one of the ones at Sandown ? How about a picture? :rainfro:
Old 05-26-2003, 07:54 PM
Sprink

Given the choice, I would rather my plane looked expensive than cheap.

I also would rather buy and build a kit than an ARTF so that modifications can be made, and weight can be controlled.

The Capiche did perform well at Sandown except for the wings falling off as I previously said.

And if you look at the kit deals on the Capiche website, shows you can get all the bits you need for £105. That does not seem expensive to me. And if you want carbon upgrades, you don't have to waste money on the bits in the basic kit, as they are available as well.

If you ask me, Island Hobbies have done an excellent job at working out how to satisfy the modern modeller. Hopefully other kit manufacturers will follow their lead.
Old 05-26-2003, 08:10 PM
Gav B

HI.
I was also at sandown and saw the capiche's fly. I must say that they did look good. As for the price. The basic set-up costs £132 (inc Tax and P&P) then you need coverings £10-£20 dependent on what you use then extras £10-30 (glue, rubber mounts, carbon rods, closed loop system etc etc) this all adds up to around £152 - £182 ish, ready to fly ! ! quite alot i would say. BUT seeing the way they fly and how nice they look, I am very seriously looking at buy one, especially now that my dad has crashed my limbo dancer. I have other planes but not any 3D styled ones now.
Old 05-26-2003, 10:21 PM
The boys Back

Hi 3 style, i fly a capiche See pic, i can't comment too much as i was involved with the test flying and development but what i can say is that i cleaned my capiche after every flight at Sandown (anyone who knows me wont believe me as i never clean my planes)

Also, i never built mine, i got a builder to do it for me but it only took him 4 days and i picked it up on the Thursday before sandown and test flew it in a gale on the friday.

Dave Stephens

Name:	81579_28927.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	47796  
Old 05-27-2003, 11:18 AM
Luke 3D

When ive got time and when ive bought the plan i think i will cut out the bits from the plan itself, and i know you are all going to say that i will never get it to the same accuracy, but ive had a lot of practice cutting stuff on the scroll saw, and i think it is easy as long as you take your time and sand everything carefully.
Would be nice to have a Capiche to do smooth stuff as well.
Hey dave, i had no idea that you could do half rolls during elevators cos i have never seen anyone else do it apart from you (and paul skinner tried one)at sandown, so now ive tried it and i can do full ones with my innov. Pro- great fun- but id love to do inverted elevators down to the runway and then flip over at the last instant- would that be cool or what!
I prefer normal kits, especially when dad builds them. A mate down the clubs' flair swallow had a deadstick landing and the every joint in the front fuselage broke. Goes to show that some of these ARTFs are just as weak as they are heavy- the 40 size seagul model's stearman's wings weigh 4lbs!
happy flying and capichin
Luke
Old 05-27-2003, 11:36 AM
Archie

3Style,

I did FLYCAPICHE at Sandown, but not as much as the other guys. I flew the Red White and Blue one in the Super Tigre slots, finishing with the harrier landings each flight from about 400ft.- first time around I actually hit the runway which was pretty neat...
I also flew Malcs electric proto.

My own Capiche was in RCME's glass cabinet - the one in the Patrick Paris style scheme. I will try to add a pic in a mo.

We had beautiful weather here yesterday so out she came for a bit of fresh air. Spent most flights doing pattern stuff for the first part of the flight and then mucked about on high rate after.

Ive only had a dozen or so flights on it and my current favourite manouvres are the Wall... looks impressive and very easy to do... and Ive never consistently been able to do one roll rolling circles, until I tried it on my capiche. I used normal soft rates on all surfaces except rudder which I set on high for this manouvre and its really not too hard... the rudder is so well behaved and yet so powerful. Every flight gets a one roll rolling circle now ! Love it ! Just hope I can do it on my other planes as easily :stupid:
Oh the torque rolls are relativel straight forward too, with the big tail throws on... havent got the skill or the balls to do it down on the deck though.... 50 feet is low enough for me !

Luke... good luck with the cutting.... but of course i really suggest you save yourself the grief and go with the cnc pack ! One thing though... dont compare to the Limbo which is a fun fly, Capiche 50 is not a fun fly. Although, subject to based on feedback through the website, we may produce a fun fly wing to fit on it to satisfy the fun fly junkies out there !

Name:	81733_7042.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	47797  
Old 05-27-2003, 12:09 PM
Archie

picture trouble

Name:	81748_7042.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	47798  
Old 05-28-2003, 12:03 PM
Sprink

Hmm, they all look so good, perhaps I will get one after all.

Oh well, more expense.
Old 05-28-2003, 01:01 PM
Archie

sprink

have you subscribed for the newsletter yet? ONe goes out this weekend.

Capiche is officially my fave plane at the moment... just saying to another flying buddy that Id be really pst if it crashed, cos I would just have to have a replacement.

Im thinking of upgrading mine from Mag 61 RFS to Saito 72 power...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.