Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Aeroworks Freedom 3D

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Aeroworks Freedom 3D

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2003, 01:44 AM
TeamVertical
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aeroworks Freedom 3D

I am looking at a Aeroworks Freedom 3D. I want to know how this compares to Goldberg Extra 300. Also I would like to have a stable platform for True IMAC flying and also just some fun 3D stuff, but the 3D stuff is not priority. What engine did you see being used?? How did it build up?? I have done a search on this site for it with no good info found.

Thanks
Dave
Old 07-02-2003, 11:24 AM
rcdoug
My Feedback: (8)

Dave,

I have one of the Freedom 3Ds from Aeroworks.
It is OK for precision, but I feel the Goldberg 300 would be much better.
The 3D would be a great 3D aircraft.
It is a pain to put together and there are some flaws in the plans, but it flys great.
If you decide on the 3D, let me know and I'll let you know what problems I had.

Doug
Old 07-05-2003, 09:40 PM
DHammer
My Feedback: (11)

Default Aeroworks freedom 3 D

Doug,
I just picked up a already built not flown Aeroworks 3D from an elderly gentleman from the club--did a great job of putting it together but lost the plans. Couple of Questions, Where is the CG suppossed to be on it? And what powerplant are you running in yours? Any information would sure be helpful.
Thanks,
Dave G
Old 07-07-2003, 11:34 AM
rcdoug

Dave,

Aeroworks calls for the C.G. at the center of the wing tube. That is a good place to start.

Their starting control throws are:

Elevator - high rate - 25 degrees up & down
low rate - 15 degrees up & down
3D rate - 35 to 40 degrees up & down

Rudder - high rate - full deflection
low rate - 30 degrees
3D rate - full deflection

Aileron - high rate - 25 degrees up & down
low rate - 15 degrees up & down
3D rate - 35 degrees up & down

I am running mine with a Saito 150, Sullivan "V" tank under the wing tube and a Cline regulator,JR 4131 servos and a 1400 NiMh
battery.
If there is anything else I can help with, let me know.

Doug
Old 07-07-2003, 01:50 PM
DHammer
My Feedback: (11)

Default Freedom 3D

Doug,

Thanks much for the info, it's a big help. I have a saito 150 hanging around but I wasn't sure if that was going to be too much for it.
Hopefully I will have it ready by next weekend and maiden it.
I just have a couple other questions, is the airframe pretty stable, or are there areas I need to re-enforce, IE, landing gear area, Stab? As I said before he did a good job putting it together but some kits have their inherent weaknesses.
Thanks again,
David
Old 07-07-2003, 10:44 PM
rcdoug

Dave,

My only concern was the landing gear plate. I made a new plate from three pieces of ply so the load was spread out further aft. It weighed 11 grams(1/2 ounce) more than the stock one. I believe the stock set up is OK if you just keep it on the runway and don't slam it down too hard. Aeroworks kits fly so well because they are light. Built to fly, not crash.
Good luck with the first flight.

Doug
Old 07-11-2003, 07:20 PM
FlyHard

Default Freedom 3D

Just for everyones info, Stan's Fiber Tech has fiberglass cowls for the Freedom 3D. They are not listed but I just got one from them and it's very nice.
Old 07-13-2003, 09:30 AM
bob_nj
My Feedback: (62)

Default Here's Mine

I built it a couple of years ago. My kit was signed by Somenzini as it was a prize in a contest somewhere. Make sure you brace the stabs guys. There were many threads on this back in it's day. I sold one of my kits to a club member who chose not to make the modification Sadly, his Freedom is no longer with us. Below is a picture of mine, the next post will have a picture of his.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	93455_106.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	52105  
Old 07-13-2003, 09:31 AM
bob_nj

Poor Jim...

Name:	93456_106.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	52106  
Old 07-13-2003, 09:32 AM
bob_nj

One more

Name:	93457_106.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	52107  
Old 10-17-2003, 09:56 PM
Ryan Smith
My Feedback: (25)

Default RE: Aeroworks Freedom 3D

WOW!

I didn't even know this airplane was kitted. I thought I was special and had the only one...

I should be flying mine tomorrow, it is pretty neat. Quique has an OS .91 FX on it, he said it would do a nice 4 point roll on an upline, but that's about all the vertical it has on that engine. I might get around to putting a Webra 1.20 on it, I love the 1.45 in my Hydeout.

Could someone tell me about the dihedral on theirs? This one being the prototype, he said it didn't have enough dihedral so he had to chop the wingtips off at an angle.

Also, are y'alls cowlings fiberglass or abs? Mine's ABS and is cracked pretty bad.

Anyway, this was cool stumbling across this...
Old 10-17-2003, 11:16 PM
bob_nj

The cowl was abs. It was a mess, but OK. How much does your weigh_bob
Old 10-18-2003, 09:25 AM
FlyHard

Stan's has a Fiberglass cowl for it.
Old 10-26-2003, 09:14 PM
Ryan Smith
My Feedback: (25)

Dunno about weight, I'll have to weigh it sometime.

This airplane is very good, better yet awesome. I did my first rolling circle (not on a sim, I never really tried hard anyway) on the first flight with this airplane. Pretty amazing.

I have a 1500 mAh NIMH battery in it right now and it's behind the wing tube. I need to move it foreward some because it is pretty tail heavy and wants to pitch up landing. Quique had a Duralite strapped above the tank in it so I might want to go somewhere in between.

He put that OS .91 FX in the airplane because he wanted it to be lighter and said the vertical suffered some from it. I have to agree with him, and I think the optimal engine would be a YS 1.20 to combat the tail-heaviness of it and to give it more power. It doesn't have near the vertical my Hydeout does with a Webra 1.45, but it is good for what I need to be praciticing anyway.

When I get my GP Venus and 35% Carden Cap out of the way, I will look into getting a used YS 1.20 for it and get a cowl from Stan's. Whew, it stinks being 17, my eyes are bigger than my wallet is ...

PS - Bob, were you the same gentleman in NJ that had the red and white 40% 3W Extra? Did you ever get that sold? How did you like it as far as ease of maintainance and flying qualities? Did you have the rubber-band stab attachment method? How did that hold up?

Sorry about all the questions, just curious
Old 10-26-2003, 09:28 PM
bob_nj

Yep! That was me. Decided to keep it. Can't sell/market/trade older expensive airplanes now a days with the advent of low cost arfs. Flew the 330 today as a matter of fact. I was trying to move it and get another 35% plane. I now have (3) 40% and (1) 35%. Gotta keep the numbers right you know...
It flies great, tracks perfectly and is a good sequence plane. Maintenance is normal for that size plane. Rubber band stab set up is not a problem. It also bolts on double stab tubes. I really like it when I think about it. Take care_bob