Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

What and How? 3D gyro assist

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

What and How? 3D gyro assist

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 11:07 AM
JIMESTES
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What and How? 3D gyro assist

I have a question about setting up a gyro to assist while hovering on my 1/3 scale edge 540.
What gyro do you use and what is the setup procedure.
I have been at fly-ins where guys are using them but have no ideas on what to buy.
thanks later Jim
Old 03-17-2010, 12:11 PM
ThumbSkull
My Feedback: (57)

Default RE: What and How? 3D gyro assist

Hover and harrier are the very basic building blocks of 3D.
To be good at 3D, you should learn them.

Good 3D pilots don't use gyros.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:10 PM
gunneredwards
My Feedback: (4)

I thought a gyro is kindof cheating... Could you even set it up to do that? I think you would have to mount it sideways wouldnt you?
Old 03-17-2010, 04:33 PM
jzrf6c

Realflight 3.5 has an Edge 540 with a gyro. I can hover with it but can not hover with the 540 model without the gyro. Of course, it could just be Realflight.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:34 PM
stangman67
My Feedback: (1)

Gyro's are cheating. Spend the time actually learning to hover on a sim and then high up on a plane. Hovering teaches you very smooth surface control that is very necessary when moving onto harriers and other stalled wing maneuvers.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:20 PM
JOHNS3D
My Feedback: (5)

just leave the gyro stuff for the jet people or some other guys....which need a gyro for take off.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:59 AM
Revy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: jzrf6c

Realflight 3.5 has an Edge 540 with a gyro. I can hover with it but can not hover with the 540 model without the gyro. Of course, it could just be Realflight.
Sure, blame the equipment!

Old 03-18-2010, 11:58 AM
Rocketman_

JIMESTES,
Get a gyro and enjoy experimentation in your hobby in whatever way pleases you. Seek help at the field from those who use gyros. I'm sure they will discuss it for as long as you are willing to listen.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:47 PM
flygilmore

I say forget a Gyro.....if you need one to fly this plane then you need to back up to a low wing sport model and begin from there!!!!!!!!! Kind of like putting a band aide on a gash that could use 40 stitches!
Old 03-18-2010, 03:57 PM
Jezmo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've tried with and without the gyro on real models and IMHO it's easier without the gyro. Once you get it down you can almost do it in your sleep. My nephew helped me learn and one of the things he showed me is how much easier it is when the plane is down low and close in to you. You can pick up the subtle movements much quicker and react to them instantly. I learned without gyros and now when I try someones plane that has them it's much much harder than without them. Just my two cents.

P.S. Here is a pic of me hovering my AeroWorks Extra.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58208.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	1400677  
Old 03-18-2010, 08:22 PM
KWJ48

If you want to learn to hover on the sim, pic a 3d capable plane, and adjust the cg back. Move it back so that is tail heavy, learn the stick movements. Then gradually move it back to the original location. If you want to practice with a real plane, get a durable one, practice low, so it doesn't have far to crash. Just my 2c.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:56 PM
nitro wing

A (properly set up) 1/3 scale edge should be easy to hover, without any outside aids. Get some help with getting the plane adjusted, if its being difficult. There is absolutely no reason to put one in this type and size aircraft.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:34 AM
petya
My Feedback: (13)

Sorry my poor english , i'm from Brazil .

Since no one answered your question

A good gyro is the JR G270 . Remote gain adjustment, capable of adjusting the gain and switching between rate and tail lock modes from the transmitter . Very usefull for hovering a aircraft , turn it off and keep your "normal" flight .
Old 03-23-2010, 02:25 PM
RCHUGHES

Gyros are useless, If you learn with a gyro and then try to do it without a gyro then you have to learn all over again, take the time and learn the right the first time. It will make you a better pilot, a lot of 3D Tricks involve harriers and torque rolls (hovering). So a gyro for Hovering will get you absolutely no where. A lot of pilots these days are trying to find ways to skip steps in 3D flying which is 1. unsafe and 2. will not get you anywhere and 3. cost you alot of money, Practice, practice, practice. IMO you should learn Harriers first then Hovering, then torque rolling, then your high alpha rolling loops, high alpha rolling circles. Thats my .02 cents

Wyatt
Old 03-28-2010, 08:27 PM
Taildragger726

"Use the Force Luke"
Old 03-31-2010, 02:20 PM
Carpilot

A friend of mine has a setup that is kind of like what you are looking for I think. Since most people just value their own opinions so much and don't actually answer your question I'll post what I know, which is very little.

He uses 2 gyro's I don't know which ones
1 on the rudder and 1, 2 channel gyro on the dual elevators (anyway 1 unit is operating 2 elevator servos)
NO HEADING HOLD (important I guess)

I know he has a couple different flight modes, the plane is so tail heavy 1 mode is just for flying around. but the plane does some INSANE stunts.

Old 04-03-2010, 04:36 AM
Bundubasher

Gyrating gyros .....!! sounds like trying to learn to ride a Harley withdetachable side wheels on each side......

Using a gyro sounds complicated and may rob you of the sense of achievement. Just adjusting the cg back initiallywillmake you a better pilot in the end. It's like rolling aplane - anybody can roll a plane real superfast fast in a straight line, but it is infinitelymore difficult to doa hesitation roll in a straightline, kind of separating the good pilots from the not so good pilots, but if a gyro works for you, do it - but put a large "GYROASSISTED" sticker on the wingsso it is clearly visible both sides when you hover a few inches off the ground.......
Old 04-07-2010, 09:31 PM
flying16150
My Feedback: (2)

Jim , I can only speak from my own experiance, I tried gyros last season and crashed several planes trying to learn to hover, I then spent allot of hrs on the sim during the winter months , the first day out this season I put the nose of my ultimate up in the air and it was all atomatic with out any gyro at all. Do the work on the sim first then go out and just do it , it will become 2nd nature to you. But the sim is the safest bet for learning anything, 3d included. Oh and one more thing while last year I spent the whole season watching and wishing to give my eye teeth to do what these 3D nuts are doing, and now that I can do it to , it dosent seem hard at all , the sim builds your confidence level. and useing a gyro wont teach you anything . your choice. the hard way or the easy way.
ORIGINAL: JIMESTES

I have a question about setting up a gyro to assist while hovering on my 1/3 scale edge 540.
What gyro do you use and what is the setup procedure.
I have been at fly-ins where guys are using them but have no ideas on what to buy.
thanks later Jim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pm35094.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	1413971  
Old 04-10-2010, 09:59 PM
jacjac
My Feedback: (2)

speaking of stuff you dont need, where do you get those cool plane covers you see some guys useing at the tucson shootout
Old 04-10-2010, 11:39 PM
Bundubasher

Well said Flying 16150, and now you can be very proud of your achievement on the field...!