RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   3D Flying! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-flying-82/)
-   -   Fliton Extra 330 Freestyle Who's Got One? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-flying-82/2524947-fliton-extra-330-freestyle-whos-got-one.html)

BoneDoc 01-02-2006 08:50 AM

RE: Fliton Extra 330 Freestyle Who's Got One?

you can go to my website young99.net and download it from there. I didn't push my luck that much with the waterfall because the battery is not as secured as I would like. Battery ejection at 100 ft would be a bad thing :D.

u8racing 01-02-2006 11:22 AM

My set up is the same as "STG" 2 hitec 5245 mini dig. in the tail, tank back to the front of the wing tube with pump on the motor mount, and the battery behind the firewall, CG is at the wing mount bolts. I was running the single elev. servo set up but could not get the CG back far enough with the Saito 100. Have not had the chance to fly it yet after the change, but I'm sure it will fly great, and I have room now to push the CG back a little farther if I want.

STG 01-02-2006 12:00 PM

ORIGINAL: BoneDoc

you can go to my website young99.net and download it from there. I didn't push my luck that much with the waterfall because the battery is not as secured as I would like. Battery ejection at 100 ft would be a bad thing :D.
Excellent! I am downloading now. I am going to grab your two 87" Edge videos also, though I have not seen them yet. Thanks!

rino 01-11-2006 05:06 PM

Hi Tanic,

On my Fliton Extra I have a Saito 100 mounted inverted with a VP20 for a pump. I can't seem to get the pump lean enough so I can set the idle. I end up turning the idle screw all the way in finally which of course causes it to quit. I have tried turning the pump bolt in quite a ways to get it to work. I think the problem is that the stock tank position is about an inch over the carb. Would you mind telling me how you set yours up and how you adjusted your pump to get the idle leaned out.

Thanks,

Steve

STG 01-11-2006 05:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: rino

Hi Tanic,

On my Fliton Extra I have a Saito 100 mounted inverted with a VP20 for a pump. I can't seem to get the pump lean enough so I can set the idle. I end up turning the idle screw all the way in finally which of course causes it to quit. I have tried turning the pump bolt in quite a ways to get it to work. I think the problem is that the stock tank position is about an inch over the carb. Would you mind telling me how you set yours up and how you adjusted your pump to get the idle leaned out.

Thanks,

Steve
Don't think Tanic has this set up?

I have SA100 inverted with VP20 pump. I also run a bypass system with uniflow. My set up needed no adjustment other than low end leaned out to about 1/2 turn out. This lean low end got me in trouble a couple times in a low waterfall jamming it from no throttle to full. I ended up richening it up to 3/4 out and it is better now--think I have to go a bit richer on the low end. --might slow down my throttle servo.

rino 01-11-2006 05:27 PM

Wow. Thanks for the info. That's just what I needed. If this works for me I can put the pump back to its original setting and move on. Also, by uniflow do you mean the extra line after the pump exit back to the tank? If so, that's cool and easy to do. Also, where is your tank located and what type of tank are you using. I am using a dubro 14oz that barely fits in the stock location. There's not much room for foam there. When I get down to about a quarter tank I start getting air in the lines due to the vibration of the engine.

Thanks a bunch,

Steve

STG 01-11-2006 05:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Wow. Thanks for the info. That's just what I needed. If this works for me I can put the pump back to its original setting and move on. Also, by uniflow do you mean the extra line after the pump exit back to the tank? If so, that's cool and easy to do. Also, where is your tank located and what type of tank are you using. I am using a dubro 14oz that barely fits in the stock location. There's not much room for foam there. When I get down to about a quarter tank I start getting air in the lines due to the vibration of the engine.

Thanks a bunch,

Steve

No I mean that my vent (and fill/empty) line has a clunk--that is like lowering the tank. The bypass is the line going back to the tank.

I have a 12oz Dubro tank but am going to a 10oz. I am getting incredible mileage with my set up, burning about only 6 to 7oz of 15% per flight.

rino 01-11-2006 06:48 PM

Cool. I don't quite get how having the open fill line with clunk would be like lowering the tank but if it works good. I will try it tonight.

Thanks,

Steve

STG 01-11-2006 07:07 PM

Cool. I don't quite get how having the open fill line with clunk would be like lowering the tank but if it works good. I will try it tonight.

Thanks,

Steve
I don't know if it is necessary, I did it because of the upward facing carb sitting lower than my tank--did not want a siphon to happen.

rino 01-12-2006 01:22 AM

Hello again,

Was the 12 oz dubro just a standard Dubro tank. I'm having trouble finding anything that will fit into the space next to the throttle servo behind the engine block where you have yours. Does your tank sit over the wing tube or slant upwards into the engine box?

Thanks,

Rino

STG 01-12-2006 09:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Hello again,

Was the 12 oz dubro just a standard Dubro tank. I'm having trouble finding anything that will fit into the space next to the throttle servo behind the engine block where you have yours. Does your tank sit over the wing tube or slant upwards into the engine box?

Thanks,
Rino
I don't have any pictures of it, but I put in some balsa on the floor to make it level from the motor box to the wing tube. Here are a couple more shots that help show how the tank is sitting. I don't know if a 14oz tank would fit without carving. The 12oz Dubro is tight with the front of the tank entering into the motor box. The 10oz should fit well.

I am taking the 12oz tank from the Fliton and moving it back to the Yak and taking the 16oz tank that is in the Yak and installing it into the Giles.

rino 01-12-2006 11:26 AM

OK. I think I get it. Do you have any pics of where you mounted your pump. I want to replicate what you did since it worked so well. I think I have it figured out all except for the placement of the pump.

Thanks a bunch,

Rino

STG 01-12-2006 11:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)

OK. I think I get it. Do you have any pics of where you mounted your pump. I want to replicate what you did since it worked so well. I think I have it figured out all except for the placement of the pump.

Thanks a bunch,

Rino

rino 01-12-2006 04:47 PM

Dang. I can't see this picture for some reason.

rkutach 01-13-2006 09:51 PM

over a month now and still no carbon tube. WARNING - dont crash these things.. you may have to wait awhile...

RCBunn 01-21-2006 05:30 PM

What size spinner does this plane use?? Will a 2 3/8" carbon fiber one work, it's from espritmodels.com

u8racing 01-21-2006 06:53 PM

2 1/4

RCBunn 01-21-2006 07:04 PM

Would the 2 3/8" look way too big??

EXTRA ADDICT 01-21-2006 08:48 PM

No it wouldnt use it. It is only 1/8th bigger.

rino 01-21-2006 09:35 PM

I use a 2.5 and it still looks great. I actually think it looks better.

Rino.

u8racing 01-21-2006 10:41 PM

Can you use a electric starter on a carbon spinner?? I would think it would mark it up after a few times....

rkutach 01-21-2006 11:18 PM

Finally..... carbon tube is IN!!! luckily, weather has SUCKED lately... Fliton contacted me immediately when I went direct instead of my local HS... Great response and quick!!! Im liking fliton a little more...

pbunn 01-22-2006 03:14 PM

Can you use a electric starter on a carbon spinner?? I would think it would mark it up after a few times....
I was wondering the same thing, anyone know??

GJAUBIN 01-22-2006 05:16 PM

I just picked up this plane and remember someone saying to beef up the engine box. Where do you recommend the beefing up? The box itself or where the box meets the firewall? Also what would you use. Tristock or glass cloth?

rino 01-23-2006 11:36 PM

Well, I burned my Extra in today on its forth flight. It sure was a nice flying plane.

The elevator linkage actually failed. The metal snapped in the linkage and I had no control at all. I don't think I will buy another though. The plane was too much work to get flight ready. From working over the engine box to getting a good setup for an inverted Saito just wasn't worth the effort in my opinion. And then there was the hatch that you had to invent a hold down for. I will agree that it is a wonderful flyer but I think it's time to move on. I have a Pacific Aeromodels Edge ready to go and I can build it in 1/4 of the the time.

Rino