RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   3D Flying! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-flying-82/)
-   -   Fliton Extra 330 Freestyle Who's Got One? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-flying-82/2524947-fliton-extra-330-freestyle-whos-got-one.html)

EXTRA ADDICT 07-06-2005 09:04 PM

RE: Fliton Extra 330 Freestyle Who's Got One?

Be careful with adding right thrust I did that to mine and it developed a snap off.

STG 07-06-2005 09:27 PM

ORIGINAL: EXTRA ADDICT

Be careful with adding right thrust I did that to mine and it developed a snap off.
Thanks for the info, How much did you add? Maybe it can be trimmed out with throttle to rudder instead of right trust?

EXTRA ADDICT 07-06-2005 09:35 PM

Well I just added a washer behind the left side of the mount because it was hard to lock into a hover and pulled left on uplines but it didn't like it.

u8racing 07-06-2005 10:53 PM

Well the extra is my first larger gas plane, I have it almost ready. I went with Central Hobbies bearing clevises on all the control surfaces and thier carbon rod split elevator control system, man that set up was a bugger to install but it is 100% slop free, as all the others are too.

Installed a new Saito 91 with Slimline Pitts muffler.

My question is, the instructions arnt very clear on the fuel tank install, are you all running the stock fuel tank or did you go bigger?? How are you mounting it in the plane to hold it in place and are you keeping it in the location the the instructions somewhat show, right behind the engine mount????

Pix would be great, thanks for you input....

STG 07-06-2005 11:14 PM

ORIGINAL: u8racing
I went with Central Hobbies bearing clevises on all the control surfaces and thier carbon rod split elevator control system, man that set up was a bugger to install but it is 100% slop free
I was seriously considering that system but was concerned that the rods would not like the large 50° travel for a 3D ship. I emailed the person who did the instructions for CH and this was his response:

"From: Troy A. Newman
Sent: Wednesday, June 29, 2005 3:11 PM
To: stg1
Subject: Re: DEPS Pushrod system

Its not the best system for large throws. The idea is you don't want the CF rods bending at all. Obviously they are going to flex some as the surface rotates and the clevis pin rises or falls in relation to the its neutral position.

If you had one of the 0.070" CF rods in your hand you would see that while they will bend slightly that don't like to bend. A 3D application is the place for this to work. I'm routinely running less than 20 degs of travel on the elevators on my pattern models. This is a maximum stiffness, minimum differential, best Precision setup. If you are moving a surface 40-50degs (3D rates) then the precision is not what you want. You want holding power and linkage geometry to give the servo the best possible advantage to hold the surface deflected at that 50 degs. If one side is 49 and the other is 50 you are not going to see it. The surface will be so stalled it can't tell. The result maybe say a couple clicks of rudder trim at most. In our pattern models maximum throw needed on an elevator is like 15-20degs....So this elevator system was designed to take advantage of this criteria.

On my Flashdance (AA version (3D) of the Pl Prod Excellence) I stuck 8411SA's in the tail as the elevators are very large 70% of the horizontal surface, and I have nearly 60 degs of travel up and down. My opinion is this dual servo setup is the best for large throws. On a pattern model sized elevator I use a single 8411SA and this is way over kill in the power department. But in the Flashdance the surfaces are large and I bang them around hard. The 8411SA is probably a minimum for the job. We are talking Servo horn to control horn ratios of 3 to 1 for the pattern setup and 1 to 1 for the AA model."
His respose is what pushed me into the duel servo elevator install.
How much travel do you have?

u8racing 07-06-2005 11:30 PM

GPS

I have about 45 degrees of traval and they seem to be very smooth top to bottom, the rods dont seem to overly flex too much and when moving the rods at the servo end by hand there is no binding, I can move them from lock up to lock down no prob. I only have about 3" of exposed rod from the exit of the fuse to the titainium ends, they seem to flex enough for the full traval but not week at all...
And the traval is dead on with both sides.

I guess we will see, I hope they work, I would hate to have to take the system out after all the work to install it...**TIP** I dont think this system was really ment to install in an ARF....:-0 It's a pain....

Any tips on the fuel tank install....Thanks for the info...

Pat

Fletch124 07-07-2005 12:04 AM

ORIGINAL: EXTRA ADDICT

Well I just added a washer behind the left side of the mount because it was hard to lock into a hover and pulled left on uplines but it didn't like it.

Is it now alot easier?

Fletch124 07-07-2005 12:08 AM

I got some more questions about dual elevator servo set ups

Is the fuse thick enough to mount them in the same place on both sides that way you can use a Y-harness? If not then did you add a riser to it?

southern_touch9 07-07-2005 07:03 AM

I used dual elevator setups. I cut out two places close to the horizontal. When cutting this area out if you want the servo to have MAX. mechanical advantage your going to cut through the stringers that run for support. I went ahead and did this then patched it. Now on the backside of the two holes I added my hardpoints. I havent flown mine yet but I know it will work. I refused to go with a split elevator setup b/c they suck. I need to put some serious time into this thing this weekend. I got the saito 1.00 on the front already mounted now its just a matter of installing the radio gear and going to the field.

EXTRA ADDICT 07-07-2005 07:36 AM

The right thrust did help lock it in a hover better.

STG 07-07-2005 07:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: southern_touch9
I used dual elevator setups. I cut out two places close to the horizontal. When cutting this area out if you want the servo to have MAX. mechanical advantage your going to cut through the stringers that run for support. I went ahead and did this then patched it. Now on the backside of the two holes I added my hardpoints. I havent flown mine yet but I know it will work. I refused to go with a split elevator setup b/c they suck. I need to put some serious time into this thing this weekend. I got the saito 1.00 on the front already mounted now its just a matter of installing the radio gear and going to the field.
I went just under the stringers and don't feel I will be giving up much. I am using 5245's in back and the fuse is wide enough for them.

STG 07-07-2005 07:47 AM

GPS
I have about 45 degrees of traval and they seem to be very smooth top to bottom, the rods dont seem to overly flex too much and when moving the rods at the servo end by hand there is no binding, I can move them from lock up to lock down no prob. I only have about 3" of exposed rod from the exit of the fuse to the titainium ends, they seem to flex enough for the full traval but not week at all...
And the traval is dead on with both sides.
I guess we will see, I hope they work, I would hate to have to take the system out after all the work to install it...**TIP** I dont think this system was really ment to install in an ARF....:-0 It's a pain....
Pat
It sound like they will work fine. If you can post any pictures that would be great.

STG 07-07-2005 11:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a look at my rear servo geometry. Looks OK to me with servo down. Tail is pretty much done..:D...have to move forward and start thinking about getting the SA100 mounted. Think I will go inverted.[&:]

EXTRA ADDICT 07-07-2005 11:17 AM

I mounted my OS 91fs inverted it workes out better in the looks dept. I think. Nice job on the servo installation by the way!

tIANci 07-07-2005 11:25 AM

Nice job GP ... please go inverted, the Saito 100 sticking out by the side is really ugly. :)

STG 07-07-2005 11:58 AM

ORIGINAL: tIANci

Nice job GP ... please go inverted, the Saito 100 sticking out by the side is really ugly. :)
OK, but just for you.

Trying to figure the offset right now...looks like there is about 2.5° on the firewall. Did I miss some pictures? Think I am going to try theVP20 and bring the fuel tank as close to CG as I can--might have to make it movable with the wing bolts.[&:]

tIANci 07-07-2005 12:23 PM

I don't think there is a need to move the tank back, it does not really make much difference. Also, the wing bolts are not that easy to put in if you move the tank back. Please remember to buy a nice 18" screw driver! Hahahaha ... I replaced mine with metal bolts. Can't wait to get mine back up this weekend, got the new TT61 carb in and will be going with a 13x4W ... will be less load than the 13x6 so I hope to get more thrust.

STG 07-07-2005 01:42 PM

I picked up some hex head steel bolts so I can use my ratchet to install the bolts. Do you use a lock washer so that the steel bolts don't vibrate loose.

u8racing 07-07-2005 02:27 PM

I never pull my wings off for transport so I used a little blue locktite on them with a flat washer.

Fletch124 07-07-2005 04:36 PM

just wondering but on your guys plane did the decals come already put on? I'm talking about the big "FreeStyle" one and the one on the side that says some, I'm not sure what though.

u8racing 07-07-2005 05:12 PM

All my decals came on one big sheet, so I need to cut out and install each one.

Fletch124 07-07-2005 05:17 PM

alright sweet because I don't plan on using them

u8racing 07-07-2005 05:26 PM

So I have a ? Since all the control arm pivot points on this plane are behind the hinge line does it help to rotate the servo arm one notch (on the servo) toward the control horn from center or one notch away to help even up the differencial throw of the control arm??

Never built a plane with all the pivot points behind the hinge line.

I built a custom rudder servo arm out of 6061 T6 aluminum with a 5/16 offset for that problem, but just wanted some more info the the other ones.

Any input reguarding the fuel tank install in my earlier post, #104??

Thanks

STG 07-07-2005 06:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)

So I have a ? Since all the control arm pivot points on this plane are behind the hinge line does it help to rotate the servo arm one notch (on the servo) toward the control horn from center or one notch away to help even up the differencial throw of the control arm??

Never built a plane with all the pivot points behind the hinge line.

I built a custom rudder servo arm out of 6061 T6 aluminum with a 5/16 offset for that problem, but just wanted some more info the the other ones.

Any input reguarding the fuel tank install in my earlier post, #104??

Thanks
Yes
http://www.rcgroups.com/links/index.php?id=4696

Note how the servo arm was mounted off center to make up for the reverse differential.

STG 07-07-2005 09:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hay did you guys have to cut your canopy? This is how HL says it comes from the box. Looks like on this one canopy is cut.