RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   3D Flying! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-flying-82/)
-   -   Fliton Extra 330 Freestyle Who's Got One? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-flying-82/2524947-fliton-extra-330-freestyle-whos-got-one.html)

danny31292 06-21-2008 09:57 PM

RE: Fliton Extra 330 Freestyle Who's Got One?

My radio locked out and I flew right into a tree. No tail section failures. Does anyone know how hard it is to get 1 replacement wing, and a cowl. Also my extra never KE'ed for a whole lenght of the field even with a good amount of throw. Anyone know why. I was using a 3004.

Han2007 07-02-2008 10:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello All, I am really hoping that some of you guys might be willing to offer some advice and experience. I am helping my brother with his first aerobatic plane (a Fliton Extra 330 freestyle) fitted with an O.S. 55 AX (spinning a 13x6 APC prop with a Bisson muffler) that he was running in a PTS Hanger 9 mustang. The Extra will hover at full throttle (holding it, it hasn't been maidened yet) but it looses power and quits after about thirty seconds. The fuel tank (a 20 ounce tank) is mounted in front of the wing tube about 8 inches behind the motor and at the same height as the motor. In an attemp to correct the problem we first plugged one of the two exhaust ports in the bisson muffler (thinking perhaps the problem might be an exhaust pressure problem) and the motor would then run for about an additional thirty seconds...and then quit. Then we thought perhaps the motor was overheating and first richened the fuel flow (which did nothing to help the situation), then exposed the cylinder head to more airflow (I've added some before and after photos) trying to adjust the fuel flow as well, but with no improvement.
Do we perhaps need a bigger engine such as an O.S. 75 AX? With a head that will extend past the cowl somewhat, or perhaps a perry fuel pump? We are seriously missing something and any advice would be incredibly appreciated as we have exhausted are wisdom and need some experience and wisdom that excels ours.

KWJ48 07-03-2008 04:04 PM

The 55 will fly it, but that's about it. Go for the 75 or a four stroke saito 82= (minimum), 91= ( real good) , 100 =( best ).

GTworks 07-03-2008 06:35 PM

Han2007,
It might be that the fuel tank is too far away ,not enuogh pressure to pump that distance . Touble shoot the problem first depending on how your bros lines (filler) are set up.If you can
intercept feed line with hand crank line form your fueler .Youll definetaly know if its a fuel draw problem .
GT.

GTworks 07-03-2008 06:43 PM

Han2007
Also ,if the bottom of the cowl isnt cut out fo escaping air flow the cylinder will likley over heat but it will take longer than thirtey seconds to get really hot ,assuming its tuned on the rich side.
Nice bird she looks hot!
GT.

Han2007 07-03-2008 10:04 PM

Thanks Guys! We appreciate all of the help. GT Works you were right it was a fuel draw problem. After we comfirmed it we first shortened the tubing holding the clunk as it was touching the bottom of the tank while standing verticle (we thought that perhaps the clunk might be getting blocked off a bit) which helped as it quit stalling. It still lacked power so we switched from a 13x6 prop to a 12x8 and then it ran much better and had more power but still just barely enough to hover the plane. We then tried running it without the plug in one of the muffler down tubes and again the motor would quit within a few seconds of standing it verticle so we ran it with the plug.

KWJ48 is also right, the O.S. 55 will fly the plane but just barely. Forget harriers and hovers, and knife edges seriously lacked power, other then that the plane flew awesome. Just as though it were on rails. We are already looking a motor upgrade, do you guys think that O.S.'s new 75 AX would provide enough power? Right now the battery is up in the cowel to help balance the plane, we're figuring that the 75's weight would be right for moving the battery back into the fuselage and maintaining the balance without a lot of counterbalance. We arn't very familiar with four strokes and have heard that they can be finicky and require a lot of adjustments.

GTworks 07-03-2008 10:23 PM

Han2007
Glad to see you found the problem.
I had a 91 os with a pump in my feestyle .I couldnt pull out of a hover with authority ....just kindaa of eased out but that Im sure was due to my prop size ....was running a apc 15x4w...Ran the same prop on my saito 91 funtana 40 ....Unlimeted power but kinda uncontrollable then switched to a 14 x 4w and that did the trick!!!I dont remeber having to shift the weight so far forward on the free style . Has expert 6 volt 2700 pack in mine under a 22oz fuel tank .
GT.

GTworks 07-03-2008 10:30 PM

Four strokes tune just like the 2 strokes,just more torque.. .The only difference I found was you have to maintain and adjust the valve rodds once in a while.

victorzamora 07-04-2008 09:35 AM

What hardware comes with this plane? I'm really debating which Fliton Freestyle plane to get, and I think the hardware is going to be a big factor in my decision. If someone has a picture with the stock hardware set-up on their plane I'd REALLY appreciate it!!

GTworks 07-04-2008 01:49 PM

The hard ware was pretty good ....I dont know what it is today but I bought mine three years ago.
Mine came with these fancey anodized alloy controll horns .Two piece motor mount .Oval shaped fuel tank with hard ware.An easy pull pull set up for rudder.This was my first pull pull and was an easy install.On the elevator was a single wood dowel going to two metel rods connecting to the elevators .
The only trouble I had was lining up the two rods for the elevators.....couldnt get them in sink ...no matter how much bending I did but dont let this stop you fom this arf .This was one of the best I have flown so far !You wont be diappointed !
I should have taken pictures before I had a failure .
GT.

victorzamora 07-04-2008 02:56 PM

I had the Fliton Edge Freestyle, and had the Rx battery not become unplugged I'd still have it. It's still the best plane I've ever flown! The hardware that came with my Edge was all red anodized-aluminum control horns....but no pull-pull on rudder. I bought (and still have) the pull-pull set-up for that plane, so the pull-pull isn't an issue. The Edge also had that awful wood dowel problem, but I'm going to be buying a 10c and using a dual-elevator set-up on this plane.

My question wasn't whether I was going to buy a Fliton or not....it was which Fliton to get. I've seen pictures of what I thought was the hardware with the Extra, and it was all ball linkages. If it's the same hardware as it is in the Edge....I'm going to have a much harder time deciding which one to get.

KWJ48 07-04-2008 03:45 PM

victorzamora, finding the Extra might be hard. I tried to order a new cowl for mine,from Horizon, and they told me that it had been discontinued. I'm not sure if they meant just the part or the whole plane though. Most places that use to carry the plane either say backordered or out of stock. :(

victorzamora 07-04-2008 11:09 PM

Yeah....one place still has the plane in stock, but I'm afraid that there aren't many of them left. That's one reason I've been so reluctant to post where they're for sale.

Jimeni 07-24-2008 08:42 PM

Well, hopefully this thread is not totally dead. I have been looking for one of these for a while. Flitonstore.com emailed me 2 days ago and said they found 1 in the warehouse. Its on its way. I'm putting a Saito 100 with inverted pitts muffler. Spektrum DS821 servos (2 on tail for elevators). 6v 2500 mah NIMH. My little aeroworks edge is pretty much wore out. Thought this would be a good replacement. From what I'm reading, it seems it may pass up my Aeroworks 120 Yak 54 as my favorite, and its got a Saito 180 in it. Been flying for about 2 years, getting descent at 3D, but cant fly a straight line to save my life. But who wants to fly straight and upright above stall speed anyways.

Jimeni 07-24-2008 08:47 PM

ORIGINAL: KWJ48

victorzamora, finding the Extra might be hard. I tried to order a new cowl for mine,from Horizon, and they told me that it had been discontinued. I'm not sure if they meant just the part or the whole plane though. Most places that use to carry the plane either say backordered or out of stock. :(

The guy at Flitonstore.com said they have not been discontinued, but it will be a while before they are back in stock, and that I got lucky they found the one I'm getting. Some of the dealers I checked with also said it has been discontinued, but it is a false statement.

victorzamora 07-24-2008 09:03 PM

That's awesome!!

rivanna 08-14-2008 11:09 AM

:) Great airplanemine is powered with 8 -a123 cells. However , can anyone give me advice on how to deal with those lousy positioned metric wing screws. I spent a large amount of time trying to assemble the wings to the fuselage-I can't fit the totally assembled plane in my van. I seem to recall that another modeler gave up and mounted screws somewhere else. Any ideas would be appreciated. T.I.A.[:@]

danny31292 08-14-2008 11:43 AM

Buy some metal (I think) 4mm screws and use ball headed allen's to put them in.

rivanna 08-14-2008 12:11 PM

Thanks for the response. Have been doing what you suggest and am still frustrated by the time it takes to assemble. Both the allen head screws and the driver has stripped out. Rivanna

danny31292 08-14-2008 12:15 PM

Are you sure your using ball headed allens?

rivanna 08-14-2008 12:25 PM

:)Yes -Iam.However,I am going to get new screws and allen head driver.Was told by aclub member that he remembers a modeleron another web-site placed a 4/40 screw in the wing and drilled it so that a clip could be inserted on the fuselage side. Says it works fine but takes a lt of effort t get it just fitted right. Rivanna

PUREPECHA 09-08-2008 09:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
you will going to love this bird!!!!

tIANci 09-09-2008 12:24 AM

If only the Fliton wing retaining bolts could be like the Sebart ones, where they fit vertically through a tab that comes out of the root rib. Anyways, its not that hard to get them in, I used a long screw driver and that was neat. As for metal bolts, do use a washer to be safe especially when you are running on GP, vibration has a nasty habit of loosening a lot of stuff. I am waiting for my new Extra ... hope it comes soon. She's one of the best 40 sized plane I have flown ...

Nitro-Tom 09-09-2008 06:02 AM

Where are you able to get another one of these? I have been trying to find another one with no luck, including calling the factory and emailing Edson. No luck[:@]

tIANci 09-09-2008 06:36 AM

From what I know Fliton are still manufacturing the Extra 330 Freestyle. I am getting mine direct from the factory, ordered the Extra 120 and the Element too. :) I doubt you want me to ship any to you as the shipping will cost almost as much as the plane! I wonder why the Flitons are slowing down in the US ... I did see some available when I stumbled through some US hobby shops ... try this:

http://www.gravesrc.com/category_s/388.htm

One last unit in stock!!!