RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   3D Flying! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-flying-82/)
-   -   Fliton Extra 330 Freestyle Who's Got One? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-flying-82/2524947-fliton-extra-330-freestyle-whos-got-one.html)

Jimeni 02-16-2009 05:38 PM

RE: Fliton Extra 330 Freestyle Who's Got One?

Buy some balsa strips, balsa sheet, and some light ply. If you need one that bad, it would not be hard to make. Just get a color mono thats close, should hold you till they come in. Or, they have the fuselage plus hatch in stock at advantage for 99.00. Guess it boils down to how bad you really want one. I would just make one personally.

Blazer1 02-16-2009 06:24 PM

I actually have been flying with the canopy the way it is, it is really just cosmetic. I am just disappointed I can't just order a new canopy,..or any part for that matter. I am on the fence about ordering a complete plane, I found a online store that has 5 in stock. I call my Extra 330 Freestyle "The plane I love to hate" because it has been nothing but a pain building and finding replacement parts but boy does it put a smile on your face when you fly it:D!

So,...what is the truth behind this plane,...is it discontinued, .......are they still making parts for it? I have heard both ways.

Jimeni 02-16-2009 06:48 PM

Yep. I'm going to fly it till it falls apart, or I crash it. Then I'm getting the Aeroworks 60 to 90 Extra 260 for the equipment thats on this one. This extra flies great, but I have had about all I can take of Fliton. Too many other companies out there who will bend over backwards to get, and keep your business. I would like to have this plane for a while though.

Blazer1 02-16-2009 07:14 PM

ORIGINAL: Jimeni

Yep. I'm going to fly it till it falls apart, or I crash it. Then I'm getting the Aeroworks 60 to 90 Extra 260 for the equipment thats on this one. This extra flies great, but I have had about all I can take of Fliton. Too many other companies out there who will bend over backwards to get, and keep your business. I would like to have this plane for a while though.

I agree 100% with you Jimeni!!! The fact that I can't get parts causes me to worry more than I should while flying this plane. If I was a more skilled builder (heck, I am not even an unskilled builder:)) I would worry less knowing I could just repair my damage. I would really like to know the future of this plane?

Jimeni 02-16-2009 07:18 PM

Unfortunately, I think it's future is painfully clear. Its dead Jim! Beam me up.

trpastor 02-16-2009 08:37 PM

I called Advantage hobby today and they are supposed to call back with more info on whether it's discontinued. I will let you know if I hear anything from them

I'm with jemini, building one would probably be pretty easy. I can take photos of mine and send them to you if you want to see the design

trpastor 02-16-2009 09:12 PM

OH, PS, I officially weighed mine today, and AUW is 5 - 15 oz, one reading and another that was 6 lbs.

Pretty frickin light for a saito 100

Jimeni 02-16-2009 09:42 PM

WOW, same set up and you are 9 to 10 oz lighter.

Blazer1 02-16-2009 10:16 PM

ORIGINAL: trpastor

OH, PS, I officially weighed mine today, and AUW is 5 - 15 oz, one reading and another that was 6 lbs.

Pretty frickin light for a saito 100

Wow,..... talk about climbing like a homesick angel!!![X(]

Yogy 02-17-2009 02:30 AM

i finished mine yesterday, but i`m so bitter about the long build that i just want to sell it RTF. but i`ll need to be lucky to find a local buyer o semi local (Middle East)

trpastor 02-17-2009 11:20 AM

Whoa Whoa Whoa! You're done with it now!! Just fly it and enjoy, the hard parts over. Just be sure to give it a light test fly first couple times and bring it down and look for problems (vibration bolts etc) to minimize your future frustrations (lost hatches etc).

How do you have the hatch and canopy secured? The cowl?

I mentioned to my friend who helped me build mine (who's been doing it a long time and flys the scale gassers) how everyone was hating the build on this thing. He chuckled each time and said this is how ARF's used to be. The good thing about it is, if you end up having some light issues down the road, you can adapt and figure out solutions becuase you are not scared to tough the thing.

Hang in there Yogy

Blazer1 02-17-2009 12:07 PM

Yogy,
You have to fly the plane!!!!! I can't stress this enough!! If you fly the plane you will have a whole new outlook on the plane. After building my Extra 330 freestyle I was swearing off Fliton forever,.. Now that i have flown it I am staying up at night worried they have quite producing the plane.

No matter how difficult the build I guarantee you will LOVE the way it flies!!

Jimeni 02-17-2009 05:46 PM

It is awesome in the air, thats for sure!!!!!!!!!!

trpastor 02-17-2009 08:35 PM

Hey Jemini

What spinner did you use? did you have to modify it at all? I'm grinding a great planes plastic one down to nothing, and I'm tired of trying with it.
PS, ther'es your extra weight?? 4 or 5 ounces?
Tim

Jimeni 02-17-2009 08:57 PM

I'm using a 2.25" Tru turn wide blade. No grinding what so ever. Some more of my weight is probably the 6v 2500 mah nimh battery (6 oz), but I can fly all day on 1 charge maintaining a minimum of 6.2v throughout, no drop off, more consistant servo performance. I'm not unhappy with the weight, she flies great.

Yogy 02-19-2009 02:15 AM

well i decided to keep the plane but i`m going EP, i dont want to mess-up the plane with the fuel. i`m thinking E-flite power 90, 6s 5000, castle hv85 should be good. i`ll keep u guys posted and BTW i used five screws to secure the canopy and i used Dubro slider spring locks for the hatch and i also put a Ducttape hinge on it.

tIANci 02-19-2009 04:30 AM

Yogy ... 6S 5,000?? Wow ... she will be heavy for sure. Most been flying her on 3,700 mAh packs. I am too lazy to get started on 3S 3,700 packs so my AXI 4130/16 and TMM70 A ESC are still sitting in the box.

Jimeni 02-19-2009 05:24 PM

Go with a Torque motor. They weigh less, and put out more power, and are much more efficient. E-flite is soon to be dead unless they pull their heads out of the sand, and get their motors up to the newer standards that are showing up. Such as Torque, Thrust, and Scorpion. I had an e-flight 480 outrunner in my PA Addiction, and switched to the recommended torque motor. WOW, much much better, and much more quiet.

http://www.extremeflightrc.com/html/torque.html

Yogy 02-20-2009 12:49 PM

yeah i know it would be heavy but the motor can handel up to a 10lb plane for 3d, and as for e-flite not being good enough well i have these item in hand (except the battery) so the cost is lower and the battery is going to be shared with a T-rex 600 ESP heli so not a total loss. and BTW i`m not that good of a flyer anyways to :D the setup will give 180Watts/LB which in the range for 3d flight. thanks for all the advice i`ll keep all in ming for the nect upgrades

i`ll be using an 18x8E prop

Jimeni 02-20-2009 02:51 PM

I guess maybe that came out wrong. E-flite has a good motor, its just everyone else is passing them up with weights, performance, ect. All of my electrics are E-flite except for the Torque. I plan on buying nothing but Torque motors now. If you already have it, thats a totally different story, it will be fine. Just if you had to buy one, Torque is the way to go. A little more expensive than E-flite, but worth it. The 90, and battery will be a little heavy, but it will be an awesome set up, with power to spare. Clearance will be tight with an 18" prop. Just remember, you will need to excersize alot of throttle management, that motor definately has the ability to rip this plane apart, especially with that prop. The wing tube in some cases, seems to be a weak point. Let us know how she flies, and all up weight. Good luck.

Yogy 02-20-2009 04:52 PM

good good , u got me scared there with ur previous post :P i`ll sure be keeping u posted about my progress, by the way what sort of flying time will i be getting with a 5000mah battery ? cause if its too much for my liking i might get a smaller battery (that can still handle the amp draw of the Power90 65amp) and be lighter

Yogy

Jimeni 02-20-2009 04:59 PM

I'm not sure with that set up, but I would say you are looking at 18 minutes or more flight time. You will not be using full power of that motor much at all. Vertical only I would think. Play it by ear, you can always reduce battery if needed. Great batteries and prices at www.unitedhobbies.com definately look at the new Zippy Flight max.

trpastor 02-20-2009 05:56 PM

Hey Guys

Took it out again today. Had a good time with it once again.

I did have the cowl come off though. The wood tabs that I put on vibrated loose. The epoxy broke right off. Where did you guys mount your tabs? I have mine on those pieces of balsa that are on the sides of the firewall. Should I have them attached to the ply?

Thanks
TIm

Jimeni 02-20-2009 06:16 PM

I attached mine to the ply.

trpastor 02-20-2009 06:20 PM

Ok, is that probably why they are ripping off so easily being on those balsa pieces?
Thanks
Tim

OH!, BTW, I have a couple extra little holes in my cowl now. I was thinking of trying to patch them and paint them. Any suggestions.
Thanks again