RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   3D Flying! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-flying-82/)
-   -   Great planes ultimate 160 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-flying-82/3240915-great-planes-ultimate-160-a.html)

keary 11-15-2005 02:05 PM

RE: Great planes ultimate 160

the report on the fuji sounds great. I feel pretty good about going with the ZDZ 50 since I think it is a little lighter and has a little more
power.

STG 11-15-2005 02:43 PM

ORIGINAL: pettit

Yes, able to hover at half "stick" (not throttle), and able to pull out vertically pretty well.

It definitely will snap on the upline. It slows a bit but will continue upward.

Using 20-8 APC standard blade, taching 7900 RPM on the ground.
Nice #'s from the F43! How was spool with that prop? Are you running the stock muffler?

pettit 11-15-2005 03:12 PM

a little spin up time, not too bad, fine for "catching it" if it falls.

Stock Muffler is not that restrictive, but sounds OK in the air.

paulputman 11-16-2005 03:23 AM

Dick

Your model and photos look very nice indeed! [8D]

I have a similar set up. Could you tell me if you added any lead and how much?
I see you have thestock muffler. How noisy is it ?
Is the prop size 20*8 ideal

Best wishes

Paul

pettit 11-16-2005 06:58 AM

No lead needed. Lead does not generate horsepower.

Balanced perfectly using setup in manual.

Muffler is average sound level, not objectionable.

Measured 98db at 10 feet on the ground

paulputman 11-16-2005 02:11 PM

Thanks Dick - Good luck with the model.
Paul

MormonMike 11-16-2005 02:16 PM

Nobody has a smoke system in this yet ? MM

bubbagates 11-16-2005 02:22 PM

ORIGINAL: MormonMike

Nobody has a smoke system in this yet ? MM

Mine will, just waiting on the prop which should be here friday and if the weather holds it will get flown this weekend and if I can get someone to use my camera there will be video also.

Between now and then all I have to do is install the rest of the tail servos and linkages, get them setup and install the engine and smoke system.

Tonight I should have the tail all finished and maybe get the engine mounted but not finished.

This thing is going together so nice :D

A question for you pettit, I saw in your pics you are running 2 rudder servo's, would you let me know what they are.

BTW...those pics are great, nicely done and she sure does look good [X(]

pettit 11-16-2005 02:26 PM

rudder servos are a pair of Hitec HS-475BB's. 75 oz-in per servo, and reasonably fast.

I had about 6 to chose from and found 2 that matched in centering and speed quite well.

Maybe overkill, but that's what I had on the shelf.

bubbagates 11-16-2005 02:33 PM

Thanks Dick that just helped me make up my mind,

I have 4 645's and a ton of 5645's laying around which are also way overkill but I like overkill when it comes to torque. I will go with the 5645's since I have the programmer which makes it a breeze to setup mulitple servos on one surface which should give me roughly 250oz's of torque between two of them besides I'll probably need 2 for balance.

Also that will give me 5645's all around except for throttle.

Like power, you can never have enough torque;)

Thanks again

EXTRA ADDICT 11-16-2005 04:24 PM

If I am not mistaken the manual recommends 200 inch ounces for the rudder. It is a mighty large rudder!:D I am sceptical about the one 5645 I have on mine.

bubbagates 11-16-2005 04:55 PM

From the manual

Servos (IMAC type aerobatics):
Ailerons – four 50 oz-in servos
Elevator – two 50 oz-in servos
Rudder – one 100 oz-in servo or two 50 oz-in servos
Throttle – one 30 oz-in servo

Extreme and 3D aerobatics
Ailerons – four 75 oz-in servos
Elevator – two 75 oz-in servos
Rudder – one 130 oz-in servo or two 70 oz-in servos
Throttle – one 30 oz-in servo

Mine are gonna be 5645's on 6.0V anyway...

thevirginian 11-16-2005 06:18 PM

Thanks, pettit,
This was the report I was hoping to read. I already played with this combo in my mind and now I think I am hooked, thanks to your report. I already have one Fuji and it serves me great in my GP CE II. I wonder what that F43 will be able to do once it is broken in and runs with a Mezjlik 20x8 or so.

iflywhenican 11-16-2005 08:00 PM

Getting ready to mount the engine on mine. Tailfeathers are all done, flying wires were a breeze. I'm going with one servo (945) Hitec for the rudder (152 in. oz.) I will add the other if balance problems arise.

I will say that this is the most enjoyable ARF that I have ever built so far. Biggest problem is trying to find 10-32X2" socket head bolts to mount the engine. Went to 2 hardware stores...NOPE!![>:][>:]:(
Will check Carson's Nut & Bolt in the AM.

Slyder 11-16-2005 08:03 PM

If all else fails order here.
http://www.microfasteners.com/index.cfm

anthonymio 11-17-2005 12:59 AM

Anyone use H9 Pro-links on the elevators and rudder. If so, what size? Putting together a parts list for my bird.

Thanks,
Tony M.

BoneDoc 11-17-2005 07:44 AM

4-40

bubbagates 11-17-2005 07:58 AM

ORIGINAL: anthonymio

Anyone use H9 Pro-links on the elevators and rudder. If so, what size? Putting together a parts list for my bird.

Thanks,
Tony M.
I did. I used 2.5 inches on the ailerons with H9 ball links on one end and the 4-40 Dubro saftey clevis's on the other.

On the elevators, I used 4 inches with the same clevis/ball link setup. I did not use one for the rudder since the longest they make is 5 inches and the length needed looked like 6 inches or more. Once I get home this afternoon, I'll measure the rod I made (came in the kit) and let you know

anthonymio 11-18-2005 12:18 AM

BoneDoc - thanks for your reply, however, I was inquiring about the length and not the size, my BAD.

Bubbagates, - thanks for the info. I was hoping that the elevator would accept 5" links, since I have a couple of them left over from a previous project. I had a feeling that the rudder would require rods greater than 5". Looks like I will end up making the rudder control rods from 1/8" CF tube and 4-40 threaded rod.

Tony M.

iflywhenican 11-18-2005 07:35 AM

Tony, thats exactly what I did for my control surfaces. Carbon fibre rod over 4-40 all thread. I had to use a 12" rod for the rudder (cut to size) and I also used 4-40 jam nuts against the carbon fibre rod to make the setup even stronger. If you need a pic of the setup, I will be glad to post one.

MormonMike 11-18-2005 08:11 AM

How and where to fit the smoke oil tank in this ? Fuel tank stick's out too far in it's mount and we know it's best not to mount the oil tank past the trailing edge of wing saddle. 18 ounces of oil tank ought to be enough. How bout some ideas please. MM

bubbagates 11-18-2005 08:12 AM

Tony,

I did the same thing as iflywhenican with the rudder. Easy to do and as strong as the titanium links but a tad heavier. That's OK, I used the Fuji so I need the tailweight anyway.

I'm almost done. Engine is now installed, throttle is hooked up and at the last minute I decided to us a mini-servo for the choke. I will end up with 4 ways to kill this engine, 3 in the air, all 4 on the ground.

1. I will be removing the idle stop screw so I can pull my throttle trim back to kill it
2. Choke servo
3. Smartfly Optical kill switch
4. Ignition switch

Call me paranoid :D;)

I have the trays made up for the smoke tank and the TME pump. All I have to do is get them installed, lineup and mount the cowl (the blocks are drying as I write this) and run the engine to tune it. The APC 20X8 should be at the LHS waiting for me by the end of the day. The smoke system will not be active for the first couple of flights as I need to drill the stock muffler flange for the smoke injector fitting. Bisson has two mufflers ready for this engine (both a wraparound and inverted straight) but at 98.00 and 72.00 respectively direct from them plus shipping from Canada and a 2 weeks waiting period and also it looks like modifications to the firewall for the wraparound one is going to be needed I'll pass for now. Tower has them on order for alomst a 15.00 difference so I'll hang until they get thiers in

bubbagates 11-18-2005 08:25 AM

MM,

There are not allot of easy choices for smoke tank location but here is what I am doing.

I used a Sullivan 10oz square tank and am mounting it directly under the main fuel tank going from side to side on the former. It fits but just barely. I'm thinking this engine is gonna need about 1.5 to 2 ounces of smoke oil a minute so a 10oz tank should give roughly 5 minutes and that will be plenty so I normally do not leave the smoke on the whole flight, but I use it to accent certain maneuvers.

I haven't balance mine yet, but I'm betting on this location is right on the CG considering when I eyeball the main fuel tank it looks like it's just forward of the CG when the top wing is installed. If I am wrong I'll just have to do something else.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFU44&P=7

MormonMike 11-18-2005 11:45 AM

Thanks Bill, I'm amazed at how fast the roomy insides of this plane clutters-up fast once the fuel tank is in place. My co-worker here says it's kinda unorthadox to mount the oil tank sideways like that but if it works, what the heck. I'm just about ready to balance this plane tonight and that will determine if I go with a pull-pull rudder or tail mount it. I thought about a Sullivan oval shaped tank and maybe be able to place it just behind the main tank but there's a bulkhead just a few inches from the main tank there. Hmm......... Well, lets do something to make it work, I'm at just about $1700 bucks into this Ultimate so far :eek: Talk to "ya" later, MM

anthonymio 11-18-2005 11:14 PM

Iflywhenican - thanks for the offer of pictures, however, I made the same control rod as you suggest on my Wild Hare E540. Using the nuts is the way Tom Faucet of Wild Hare RC recommends that they be built.

Bubbagates - I don't use choke servos anymore on my gas installs. The optical kill switches work well to kill in the air and on the ground. With my DA powered airplanes, I only need to choke on the first start of the day. So I run a choke lever to the bottom of the cowl and manually choke the engine. I plan to use the same set-up on the Ultimate. I also use the smart-fly optical kill switch. Easy install and works every time.

I am installing the Fuji 43. I originally had ordered the Bisson Pitts muffler from Tower, but after an earlier report about requiring a mod to the firewall to fit, I checked the dimensions of the muffler against the distance from the firewall and estimated that approx. 1/2" of the bottom of the firewall would need to be shaved off. I canceled the Bisson based on this and Dick Pettit's report of the good performance and acceptable noise charactoristics of the stock unit.

My only regret was that I ordered the Ultimate and Engine as a package from Tower. Got the engine but the Ultimate is back-ordered until early December. All of the shops in my area have the airplane in stock and because of the package deal I got, Tower will not allow me to cancel the airplane to buy from the locals.

Tony M.