RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   3D Flying! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-flying-82/)
-   -   Lanier Yak (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-flying-82/3488870-lanier-yak.html)

rchotdogpilot 02-16-2007 09:44 AM

RE: Lanier Yak

I look forward to see you and Joe again. I'll be down this summer many times I'm sure. I'll probably be in Columbus so much that I'll have to join your club.

mga 02-16-2007 10:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
By the way, the First Place Engines 70cc weighs 88oz with electronic ignition and muffler. this is what I have in my Yak. which weighs 24lbs, as I took nothing out, have the duralite power board, two Lithium bat 2900, reinforced carbon fiber engine box. 4 servos for ailorons and two for elevator, pull pull for rudder. Fiber optic cut off switch for engine.I am not a 3D fly, but an IMAC flyer, I like a heavier plane, as we fly in very windy days here.
Will be flying it in the spring. looking forward to it.

maxun 02-16-2007 10:30 AM

You are allways welcome in our club, is a pleasure see you there Neal.
I thing the club is meeting in Tony's wherehouse and the club is building airplanes there during the winter, I got the Yak after see you flying but I am no sure that I want to sacrifies this bird on the ground yet. May I build a extra 30% and make sure the DA50 is broke down one's and for all. Wife is cain of upset because too many boxes in the house. QQ102 have new 100 ZDZ with canister. But this yak from Lanier Rock's.
I need to do some study on the aileron surfaces of this Yak the mod is exelent. But I am lazy. May installed only one servo in the inboard of each aileron bay. (may be not)and do the Maudib Mod.

maxun 02-16-2007 10:33 AM

Nice pic's, Nice plane.:D:)

rchotdogpilot 02-16-2007 10:56 AM

My plane, the one you saw fly, only has one servo per wing on the out side one. This should wwork fine, AS LONG AS YOU FLY SLOW, never full throttle down lines

jtsails 02-26-2007 07:46 PM

Has anyone found a source for Carbon Landing gear for this plane?

FishMan 02-26-2007 08:46 PM

ORIGINAL: jtsails

Has anyone found a source for Carbon Landing gear for this plane?
I talked with these people late last year about making me a set for my Yak, he said it would be no problem just needed a set of gear to make a mold from, cost in the $60 to $70 range. I was gonna pull my gear and send em off to have some made but decided the gain vs. cost wasnt worth it.

http://www.graphtechrc.com/default.asp

Maudib 02-26-2007 08:53 PM

I used the Aeroworks 33% Edge 540 gear on mine (from Graphtech) A little lower... but worked O.K. WOuldn't work for uch more than a 22" prop though...

Perhaps some of the SD Model/TOC replacement gear might work too...

patternman 03-01-2007 07:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just got finished changing out landing gear plate for a 1/4 liteply plate. put it in from the side where I did not have to cut too much balsa. Reinforced it. Check out the additional alum. supports for the legs. Adds only a 1 oz, yet strengthens the legs by joining them together like a one pc would be. Oh yeah, I did take out some weight from the legs to compensate.

I have a question: My rudder bounces back and forth continually. I am using a futaba s9151 servo and put new gears in it, thinking it was gear lash. Still bounces. I tried another digital sevo. Same thing. I tried shorter servo arm, tighter clevis. Still bounces until you stop it by hand. I bet it bounces in the air, but I cant see it. Thoughts on how to stop this nasty problem?

Otherwise I like this plane. I have a ZDZ60 in it, it weighs 20",7 oz and does just fine with a bolly 24x10[img][/img]

pcsol 03-01-2007 07:41 PM

I Like the mod patternman ;)
I blew my gear out and replaced the plate, during which I came to the same conclusion, that the split is a big part of the problem. I still have them split but with the high grade aircraft ply and gear from TNT its been solid as a rock.
Not sure about the rudder bounce. Sure sounds like a radio/server issue though. When you say "bounce" do you mean a jitter ?
I run JR and Hitec so I'm not real familiar with the 9151 (5995 on the Yak rudder). Are there issue's with voltage or lead length on this servo? Is your rudder lead a nice heavy gauge?

maxun 03-01-2007 09:15 PM

This happen to me on some futaba servos, is like the servo can't control the pointiometer, and in my case the servo is with lack of torke.
Other simtom can be weak wire connection somewhere, what I do is I go to lowe's and buy telefone cable the one with 4 color's, I use only the black white and red, the shield and shirt is trashed, the green is trash and the ground steell wire I use for pull pull sistems, I cut the servo cable and weld the 3 new wire in each end. so now my servo cable is long and don't have any extension. plus is cheap and better. if you can buy the original servo cable in long length better for you.
But if that do not solve the problem, them change the servo because maybe is ready to take a ssssshhhhhhhh%$&^%&^%&. LOL:D

maxun 03-01-2007 09:16 PM

Absolutly fantastic engineering in that mod. Are you a Aircraft Engineer? exelent.

patternman 03-01-2007 11:29 PM

thanks Maxon. No, I just fiddle.
Having the fuse side reinforced where the landing plate runs alnogside the fuse will will also help keep the plate from twisting out, but the main problem was the lightening holes in the center of the three lightly glued together pc. of china ply.
any way I expect no more problem.
The rudder bounce or flutter back and forth is due to slop somewhere - hinge, arm, servo bearing, that is magnified by the weight of the rudder and springs on the Ohio tailwheel. It bounces back beween left and right of center. Just wondered if anyone else had the problem. I guess I will try a new hitec servo. I find that I do not need as much rudder throw as I can possibly get. With its big airfoil shape, it is effective.
Hope it stays warm here in MO. got the 2007 IMAC sequence laminated, ready to learn. Also want to goose around with 3D. Maybe do a sequence of Basic, Sportsman, then freestyle some 3D, get a routine going, be a showstopper each time I fly. I must say that Yak stands out at our field.
I have been looking for the 3-D cockpit/pilot insert and forgot where to look.
What scale do you think this Yak is?
I have been flying it for a year now. Like it lots.
Patternman turned 3D

maxun 03-02-2007 12:12 AM

I thing you can get the pilot's in troy build models, and chip hide web site.
I thing this plane is close to 30%.

iflywhenican 03-02-2007 08:20 AM

patternman, What type of battery voltage are you throwing at the servos? Usually if you put a freshly charged 6 volt battery to certain servos they will flutter untill the risidual charge is worn off. I see this happening quite a lot on JR systems. You can eliminate the "jitter" by installing a voltage regulator. Also this is quite common when using digital servos.

Maudib 03-02-2007 02:05 PM

A fella just stated that the 87" Lanier Yak was on Daily Sale at Tower for $429...

maxun 03-02-2007 06:52 PM

yea: towerhobbies:$429 free shipping if you club member plus 30 dollars off
and the most important part of all They do have spare part's allways.

And Now The Future:

EF 30%: 450.00 free shipping
TOC 30% 400.00 free shipping
BME 30% 450.00 free shipping
Ultra RC 30% 300 free shipping

or for the next winter there will be fire wood.

LOL

Finaly cheap labor cath up with them, the chinese are producing more planes that we can crash, producing better planes in a cheap price, the war of the prices bigining, this is like the stock market LOL.\
and now they produce the DL50 a glorify DA-50 what a joke.

jtsails 03-02-2007 10:01 PM

Patterman,
I have Futaba 9252 servos on the rudder and I have the same jitter. I swapped all of the servos around and they all did it. I think it's just the weight of the rudder. I also found that it doesn't do it if there is any airflow over the rudder so I don't feel that it is doing it in the air.

iflywhenican 03-03-2007 08:13 AM

The rudder on mine doesn't jitter. I am using a Hitec 945 MG. It is a coreless motor servo, but not digital.

Bashedit 03-03-2007 11:47 AM

Just got back from flying mine, wind started to kick-up and I needed to make a trip to the LHS anyway. But I also had a problem with one of my 8611's being bouncy on another plane. Changed out to a 5955 and the problem went away. I've been using the 5955's on rudder ever since.

Bashedit

Maudib 03-03-2007 11:49 AM

I've had 8611's and Futaba Rudder servos do that... but knock on wood... not a 5955... ;)

pcsol 03-05-2007 04:23 PM

Even cheaper today:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLDE1&P=0

get’m while their hot !!:D

iflywhenican 03-05-2007 05:21 PM

and I paid $459 for mine at the LHS when they first came on the scene. :([sm=cry_smile.gif]:(

FishMan 03-05-2007 05:53 PM

ORIGINAL: iflywhenican

and I paid $459 for mine at the LHS when they first came on the scene. :([sm=cry_smile.gif]:(
I would feel good about that! MIne came to $525 w/tax. [sm=cry_smile.gif]

maxun 03-05-2007 07:02 PM

ok this is the time to buy a spare. 413 less 30 instant rebate and free shipping. One thing is out of this world, I got mine from Lanier, was 499.00 less 20% and free shipping. the total was like $399, so I did click. What is funny is that shipping charges was like 30 dollars or so that lanier pay on DHL, I see that this chinese airplanes distribuidors retailer, are charging 80 to 150 in delivery so we no only pay for the plane but they make money out of the conteiner that brings the planes to USA for 3 times the value. so is you pay 4000 for the conteiner they pass the cost to us and they make 12.000 . I fully understand that they have to make money, but I firmly bolived that if I can save a buck or two to a fellow rc pilot, in this or other forum, will make us more intelligent, reponsibles (with our families) and inteligent consumers, just because a EF, TOC etc put a out of this world price in ultracote and sticks we don't have to fall for it. Remember 650+ plus shipping is good money, you can buy a Bose speaker system with it or a good cruise in the caribean. LOL
I apresiate the person that inform all of us abaut this sale. thanks.