RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   3D Flying! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-flying-82/)
-   -   Lanier Yak (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/3d-flying-82/3488870-lanier-yak.html)

rchotdogpilot 10-25-2005 01:33 PM

Lanier Yak

Has anyone, seen a pic of the new Lanier Yak? Why has no one started a forum on it? I see there is one started on the Lanier Edge, which also has some pics of the Lanier Extra, but NOTHING on the Yak. Help me out guys.

3dbob37n 10-25-2005 02:06 PM

RE: Lanier Yak

I don't think it is out yet. I heard December.

3dbob

Fletch124 10-25-2005 05:03 PM

I saw some pics of it in Model Aviation and it looks awesome. But by the specs that i saw it doesn't look very good.

rchotdogpilot 10-28-2005 10:38 AM

Fletch124, what issue of MA was it that you saw it?

Waco 10-28-2005 08:43 PM

Its in the Nov. issue on second page of the MA. I think it looks good. specs. are about the same as the edge and the extra.

rchotdogpilot 10-28-2005 11:07 PM

okay thanks, I called Lanier today and they said they have been told that the container that will be sent is leaving in the mid-November time frame. I also got the manual from Lanier, it look pretty good, but I really want to see it in person. The first to get one, please post some pics.
Thanks

rchotdogpilot 10-28-2005 11:08 PM

Sorry, forgot to mention that they are supposed to be here mid-December

analog_boy 11-09-2005 06:54 PM

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXLDE1&P=ML
i think this might be the next home fo my zdz 60. i hope this model has room for pipes otherwise a 60 might not be enough but there ya go

3daviator 11-10-2005 01:27 AM

What didn't you like about the specs? I downloaded the manual at their site and they said they used a DA 50 in it. I see in MA the weight is 16.5-18lb but tower hobbies has it at 16.5 - 17. seems like if it was kept to 16-16.5 it should have a pretty good wing loading and the DA 50 should be fine, no?

ORIGINAL: Fletch124

I saw some pics of it in Model Aviation and it looks awesome. But by the specs that i saw it doesn't look very good.

rchotdogpilot 11-10-2005 02:28 PM

I have one on order. Once it comes in I will update everyone. I plan on weighing every piece and verifying the measurments indicated by Lanier. We have a few TOC's in the club, so once I fly it, i will be able to make a true judgment.

Riverdancer 11-10-2005 04:14 PM

Good Day RC Hotdog guy,

I will look forward to that, I have one on order as well.. I suspect you will get yours before I do.. I pick up the Extra 330 next week.

Hello Analog Boy, hows the job hunting going.. :D those Yaks don't grow on trees you know...:)

Take Care

Riverdancer

rchotdogpilot 11-10-2005 04:25 PM

Nope, the container for the lanier yaks don't get in until mid-December. From what Lanier directly told me, the planes are done, and awaiting shipment, but the slow boat from China is slow. By the time they clear customs and what not I was told mid-december. So I will wait and see. Unfortunetly, I can't decide on an engine until I get it and weight it. So far I know for a fact I will replace all I can with light weight carbon fiber where ever I can. I also know I will be using Li-Po's for both reciever and ignition batts. Servo's will all be Hitec 5925's which are the second fastest speed servo in that digital category (.08 sec 60 deg at 6V 127.7 oz/in). I hope to keep this the build post for the Lanier Yak, if possible. Anyone that stumbles upon this one and has one of those planes feel free to share. Especasilly right now the Lanier guy with the prototype Yak.

teammsn 11-10-2005 09:30 PM

Try this link they have some pics www.rccanada.ca/bb/viewtopic.php?t=17794

jrjohn 11-21-2005 08:50 PM

ORIGINAL: 3daviator

What didn't you like about the specs? I downloaded the manual at their site and they said they used a DA 50 in it. I see in MA the weight is 16.5-18lb but tower hobbies has it at 16.5 - 17. seems like if it was kept to 16-16.5 it should have a pretty good wing loading and the DA 50 should be fine, no?

ORIGINAL: Fletch124

I think the reason it weighs more is because they are using alluminum for the Wing tube, Horizontal stab tube and the landing gear. Swap those three items out for carbon fiber and you will be about one pound less. That puts you right in line with the other Yaks when it comes to weight. I'm guessing those 3 items will cost about $120.00 in carbon fiber. Not to shabby when the plane cost less than 500 dollars to start with.

john

jrjohn 11-27-2005 01:17 PM

I noticed the Lanier Yak is using two servo's per wing. Whats up with that?

John

rchotdogpilot 12-02-2005 02:06 PM

The theory of using 2 servos per wing is that with high torque servos you get positive control with no deflection while pulling some manuvers. When using 2 standard servos, you can still get away with flying the plane with some 3D capabilities. That's my thinking on the whole thing.

salmon 12-02-2005 09:56 PM

the engine size they recomend is a 50 to 80, I thought this engines are for 2 different size planes you know 28% and 33% , you know what I mean they don't say the planes requires a 50 to 60cc or an 80 to 100 like most of the manufactures

jrjohn 12-06-2005 08:54 AM

ORIGINAL: rchotdogpilot

The theory of using 2 servos per wing is that with high torque servos you get positive control with no deflection while pulling some manuvers. When using 2 standard servos, you can still get away with flying the plane with some 3D capabilities. That's my thinking on the whole thing.
All of the other 50cc Yaks out there are using one digital on the ail. I"m wondering if they have a weak aileron so they need to pull from two areas

john

rchotdogpilot 12-08-2005 08:47 AM

I can't wait for this one, (the Lanier Yak) a few more weeks and I should have it in my hands. From everything I have seen and heard, this should be a GREAT plane for the price. And the nice thing is, I will be able to compare it directly with the TOC, Greatplanes and Carl Goldberg Yaks, which will all be flying this year at my field, the Cleveland RC Club. I know they are all of different catagories, but I will be able to see which is the best bang for the buck.

rchotdogpilot 12-12-2005 10:49 AM

Gents, just heard some bad news from Lanier. The Yak, which was supposed to be in stock by the middle of December, will now arrive in the middle of January. I sincerely hope this doesn't turn ito the EF issue.

marv422 01-08-2006 05:31 PM

Does anyone have any futher information on the date for the Yaks to hit the shelves? My local HS said that he would have mine on the 6th, but they did not come in. I'm still undecided on the engine for this plane, DA50, ZDZ80, Evolution 58.

Thanks,
Marv422

rchotdogpilot 01-18-2006 12:37 PM

I have been bugging Lanier and they keep saying "end of January" that they will have them in GA. I would say about 1 week after that they will be at Tower and then 1 week after that at your house. If Lanier is not pulling an EF. So say mid Feb we should have them in house and believe me I'm waiting.

rchotdogpilot 01-20-2006 08:56 AM

I just bought the Evolution 45GX for the YAK. This is the same as the MVVS 45 IRS/MG. From all that I have read, it is lighter and more powerful than the DA and ZDZ 50's out there. It should be here shortly and I will be able to run this engine on a GP wagstaff that has a ZDZ 50 in it already. This will give me a direct comparison on the 2 engines. I can't wait to report back on this one. With this engine and the equipment I plan to use, I should be around the 15.5 lbs range. That of course depends on how much the airframe its self weighs. Unfortunetly since no one has it yet, I am unsure what it will be. But if it is anything like the others (TOC, KMP) It should be in the 10 lbs range out of the box.

alpsat 01-20-2006 09:40 AM

I am looking for good info about the evo45. when you have the engine could you please post the weights also.. If it beats DA on both weight and power it would be awsome. But for the airframe, I think Lanier yak will be heavier than the others as it seems larger and longer.

marv422 01-20-2006 01:18 PM

Yep, end of Jan. is what their telling me too. They say their in port, but won't hit the HS until around the 31st. As for the engine, I'm concerned about the weight listed. The new evo 58 is looking better and better.
I'm going to stick the plane under my workbench and let you guys do the guinea pig thing!

Marv422

Langster 01-21-2006 06:48 AM

With all the servos being used in the Lanier Yak 87" what is the best way to provide servo power and matching to the dual srface servos? Dual receivers with matchboxes? A powerbox and matchboxes? Using just Y connectors to each pair of servos on the different control surfaces?

I'm just looking for general feedback based on previous experience with similar set ups.

Thanks

Lang

rchotdogpilot 01-23-2006 08:26 AM

I have been concered about the weight too, but I have also done evrything I can to reduce the weight in the equipment. I will be goiing with Li-po's for power, micro servo for Throttle and Choke, CF landing gear and wing tube and will use absolutly no epoxy. With the evo45 being lighter than everything else out there in the 50CC class, I'm hoping to get mine to come in at the 16 lbs range. I know there will be a lot of aftermarket parts and great thought into keeping it light, but I'm hoping it will all pay off.

AirTech 01-23-2006 10:08 AM

With all the servos being used in the Lanier Yak 87" what is the best way to provide servo power and matching to the dual srface servos? Dual receivers with matchboxes? A powerbox and matchboxes? Using just Y connectors to each pair of servos on the different control surfaces?

I'm just looking for general feedback based on previous experience with similar set ups.

Thanks

Lang
Hey Lang,

I am planning on using SmartFly Equalizers II for each pair of wing servos, rudder and elevator. I beleive these have more adjustability than JR Matchboxes. I have just received an Evolution 58GX to power this bird. With all the servos mounted in the tail I expect there may be a need of some extra weigh in the nose, The Evo 58 is about 18 ounzes heavier than the DA 50 Lanier use on the prototipe, and that will help balance without adding extra weight. Also the power of the Evo 58 (8.5 H.P.) will not be wasted since Lanier advertise the weight to be arround 18 Lb., and usually most manufacturers are VERY conservative with their specifications.

By the way if you like to get ahead of the game Lanier ( http://www.lanierrc.com/lrcprivate/r...87yak54arf.htm ) have the construction manual available as a PDF file. This download service is being provided FREE of charge under as long as you supply accurate contact information, so they can include you in their mailing list for emails and catalogs. The Access Code you recieve by filling out the form will be active for 24 hours.

alpsat 01-23-2006 03:48 PM

If you are using Hitec digitals all you need is the programmer. Very easy and straight forward. You won't be adding extra equipments on the plane and you won't be paying for that stuff each time you build a plane.

Langster 01-23-2006 04:27 PM

Thanks for feedback, I'm interested in different approaches to the same problem.

I wonder how long until the Yaks arrive? Perhaps only another couple of weeks...

Lang

AirTech 01-23-2006 09:11 PM

quote:

If you are using Hitec digitals all you need is the programmer. Very easy and straight forward. You won't be adding extra equipments on the plane and you won't be paying for that stuff each time you build a plane.

< Message edited by alpsat -- 1/23/2006 2:49:16 PM >

Alp
I agree, that is a better way to go. For the less than the cost of four Equalizer or Mathchboxes you can purchase a Hitec Programer.

rchotdogpilot 01-24-2006 08:06 AM

I'm solving the weight and matching issue of the servos, by only using 1 in each wing panel and one rudder servo. It works for the EF, TOC, KMP Yaks, so I don't why it won't work here. Many may think it's not a good idea, but I am looking at it from the point of view of most weight savings possible. As for the Evo 45, at first glance the motor looks and feels lighter. Motor with ignition and plug on my calibrated scale at work is 54.4 oz. That is heavier than advertized, by about 4 oz, but I won't get too much of a bug up my ***** until I weigh my ZDZ 50 on the same scale. If it ends up not being 4 oz lighter that ZDZ 50 as the 2 are advertised, I will send it back and go with the ZDZ. As for the date, I called Lanier yesterday 1/23/06 and they said they will be in port on Thursday the 26th and if they don't get held up, should be in GA by the 30th and possibly in our hands by the first week in Feb.

alpsat 01-24-2006 09:15 AM

Sorry to hear that the engine is heavier than advertised. I was really waiting for this engine for some time. What is the bare weight w/o ignition?
FYI advertised weight figures for DA50 are right. One of my friends has a ZDZ 80 and it was also heavier than advertised. So you can compare the bare weight of your engine to DA50 also, which is 3lbs bare and 3.2 with stand offs. BME is coming with a 55 which weighs 2.1 lbs bare but unfortunately it will be available by april.

Maudib 01-24-2006 09:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I was wondering what it would come in at... a couple other threads have found out the same thing... that indeed it's heavier than expected and is no lighter than a DA50.

If you look at Horizon's website for the 45GX, you'll also find it is listed as 43cc, not 45... It will be interesting to see just what what prop it will spin and at what rpm... It may very well be a powerful 43... but I still have reservations that it can spin a 22x8 at 7400 or a 23x8 at close to 7000.

They state the Mejzlik 23x8 spun 6100... and that just isn't on par with a DA50 or ZDZ... And at a listed price of $599 (don't know what dealers are discounting them at) they sure aren't a value persay.

If light is the goal... the new BME55's that are SUPPOSED to be made available in April would certainly save a full pound over current 50cc engines.

Still, this might be a hard plane to balance with a missing pound in the nose...

As far as using a single servo on a two servo designed wing? Not a good idea...

When designed for a single servo, the location places the linkage close to the center of the surface to give best support for the entire aileron. but on a two servo design, you'll put it at the root... at about 20% of the alieron. WAY too much aileron out there to flex and flutter. You would really risk a loss.

If a fella REALLY wanted to save the weight... you'd be best off to strip the bottom covering off and move/build in a servo bay in the center of the wing. Would probably have to add a hardpoint in the aileron as well.

Also note in the pic... this plane has counterbalances on the ailerons... that's different from other designs.

ORIGINAL: rchotdogpilot

I'm solving the weight and matching issue of the servos, by only using 1 in each wing panel and one rudder servo. It works for the EF, TOC, KMP Yaks, so I don't why it won't work here. Many may think it's not a good idea, but I am looking at it from the point of view of most weight savings possible. As for the Evo 45, at first glance the motor looks and feels lighter. Motor with ignition and plug on my calibrated scale at work is 54.4 oz. That is heavier than advertized, by about 4 oz, but I won't get too much of a bug up my ***** until I weigh my ZDZ 50 on the same scale. If it ends up not being 4 oz lighter that ZDZ 50 as the 2 are advertised, I will send it back and go with the ZDZ. As for the date, I called Lanier yesterday 1/23/06 and they said they will be in port on Thursday the 26th and if they don't get held up, should be in GA by the 30th and possibly in our hands by the first week in Feb.

Maudib 01-24-2006 09:49 AM

Oh and this IS a beautiful scheme... I can see it in the sky now...

http://www.renderwurx.com/onlinepics/yaksky.jpg

rchotdogpilot 01-25-2006 12:34 PM

I have read only good things about the Evo 45. I have also read guys that can get the power out of it. Like I said, I will weigh a ZDZ 50 on the same scale. Once I have the 2 side by side, I will make a decsion on whether or not to ship it back. As for the 1 servo option in the wing, I will either put it out in the far mounting postion, or make a new spot for it. I really won't know what to do with it, unitl I get it, which should hopefully be the first week in Feb. As for the BME 55, I will look at it in Toledo and it if is what they say, I may just pick one up.

AirTech 01-25-2006 02:04 PM

I have read only good things about the Evo 45. I have also read guys that can get the power out of it. Like I said, I will weigh a ZDZ 50 on the same scale. Once I have the 2 side by side, I will make a decsion on whether or not to ship it back. As for the 1 servo option in the wing, I will either put it out in the far mounting postion, or make a new spot for it. I really won't know what to do with it, unitl I get it, which should hopefully be the first week in Feb. As for the BME 55, I will look at it in Toledo and it if is what they say, I may just pick one up.
Hey Hotdog,

I don't have any feedback on the Evo 45. Just bought a 58GX because all the good reports from some serious IMAC pilots. If you take in consideration all the tail servos are mounted on the empenage, this bird can use some weight in the nose. After all you can mount up to a 80cc engine in the nose and should be able to balance decently. The Evo 58 should pump some 8.5 horses, and it weigths a pound more than a DA50. I think that's a very good power to weight ratio, even at max empty weight of 18.5 to 19 Lbs.

If I were you I'll be hesitant to install only one servo per aileron. This plane have some fairly large ailerons with counterbalances, and that's a lot of torque do deal with. You should be concerned that with such large ailerons there is a large probability of induced flutter if you use only one servo per aileron.

Can with to get my hands on this baby. I'll keep you all posted of the building process as soon as I receive mine. Good luck to all, and keep posting your ideas and concerns on this model. This thread should be an enormous resource for information in the near future.

rchotdogpilot 01-25-2006 04:19 PM

Thanks for the input Airtech. I won't lie when I say I was torn between the the 58 vs 45. I will just have to see. As for the nose weight issue, that is also another concern of mine, since no one has gotten their hands on one yet. I figure if I have too, I will change out the engine to gain the weight needed. I'm a firm believer (because of my dad) that more power is always the way to go, instead of more weight. As for the servo issues, I'm also concerned about that, but I have some decently high torque high speed digi's to put in there. I know they call for 9 100 oz servos, but that is roughly 18 oz just in servos. At our field, we have 3 TOC's and I want to show what the cheaper one can do. Plus I will outfit mine with more top of the line equipment than those who have to TOC. Just to give myself a leg up on them in flight ablilties.:D Although I have quite a few years of flying compared to my comrads, I made the mistake of teaching them my secrets [X(], so the guys that I have been tutoring the past few years are quickly catching up to my level. But we'll see, once I have it in my hands on it, I may change my mind. But I want this baby to be 16 lbs or under in the worst way. I'd sell my soul to get it that light. :D

Maudib 01-25-2006 04:29 PM

You may have to invest in CF wingtube and tailwheel to help get there... the gear will be a ways off before there will be CF replacements, but that would save some weight too... They appear to be two piece and slip into slots in the fuse.

Ultralite tires, 16 oz tank, single rudder servo, lipolies, CF spinner HiTec 5945's (1.9 oz servos), all can help too...

I'm betting a stock 50cc build will come in around 16.5-17 lbs... not too bad.

16 lbs seems doable if you haev the money to make it happen Captn.

AirTech 01-25-2006 06:01 PM

I agree 100%, a 16 to 17 Lb. weight is very feasible, but one has to invest a few extra dollars. I believe that with a lighter engine like the EVO 45 shifting the dual elevator servos in the tail and installing a single high torque servo in the fuse via Pull/Pull cables will help with the CG issues, and save a at least over 1.25 Lb. of weight.

I am planning on using all Li-Ion batteries. Dual FROMECO Li-Ion 2400mAh for the receiver with a Smart-Fly SuperRegulator, and a single one for the ignition regulated to 5.2 volts via a new Smart-Fly Ignition Regulator. That should shave a few ounces. We have to wait and weight all components separately when the planes start arriving. That way we can compare weight savings before investing in some extra bling$$$.