Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying! > 3DFoamy Support
Reload this Page >

CAP 232 40" kit - planned components.

Community
Search
Notices
3DFoamy Support Click here to get all your 3DFoamy support questions answered.

CAP 232 40" kit - planned components.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 01:08 PM
jmcowart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAP 232 40" kit - planned components.

I have just ordered the 40" CAP 232 kit and am looking forwad to starting work on it. In the meantime, Ihave been planning and researching what components to use. Everything from the prop to the rudder servo needed to be decided upon. As Iam a sure-enough novice and new guy I didn't have a cabinet full of components already on hand. Neither did Ihave experience nor much knowledge to draw upon. You can see my problem.

After reading everything I could find in books, on the forums, and on the commercial web sites, I can up with a list of components that I hope sincerely will balance in weight and current draw and capacity. Here it is:

Please, guys, if you know what you're doing and see me screwing up here, pleasedosay something!

Prop: APCS - 11 X 4.7 slow flyer (two of them actually, in order to plan ahead)

Motor: Hacker B20-15L + 4:1 Weight 2.03 oz 13 amps operating, 20 amps peak power .

Gear Box: B20 Gear Box 4:1 included with the motor.

ESC: Phoenix - 35 (Castle) rated at 35 amps continuous Weight .9 oz

Battery: Thunder Power 4200 mAh 3S2P 11.1 V LiPO 13 guage wire Weight 10.0 oz (I have no idea what connectors to use througout or how to solder, yet.)

Receiver: Spektrum AR 6115e 6-channel DSMX MicroLite Receiver with end pins Weight .14 oz

Servos: Four HiTec HS5055MG weight .33 0z each for total 1.32 oz Ipicked digital with metal gears intentionally.

Paint: Yellow/Black Krylon Short Cuts spray cans.Sort of a "D-Day stripes" scheme on the bird.

A number of factors played into these plans Stong engine so I took the slightly heavier servos. Heavy battery for lot of power so will mount it at CG on opposite side of fuselage from everything else.. AR6115e because I have a Spektrum transmitter and this receiver has end pin connections which seemed to me better located for streamlined plugging in - Krylon short cuts paint because it is water based, sprays fine and dries shinny. Ihave no idea what to do about landing gear or wheels, as yet.

All the components add up to 14.66 oz. Perhaps wires and connectors and solder and epoxy and Robart hinges will add up to 16 0z? Plus the CAP232 itself. What does anyone think? Too heavy?

Please tear this plan and my ideasapart and save me some pain, work, heartache and cash. Help! Thanks in advance - Mike.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:48 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: CAP 232 40

Hi,
That battery is way too big for a <1lb plane, get a 1200mah 3s pack

I have never used the gearbox motors, my best recommendation is a simple 20-20L outrunner equivalent, light, simple, powerful.

My setup for all the pro, super and parkjets is:

20-20L equivalent outrunner motor, 25amp esc, 10x4.7 or 11x4.7 prop, 1200mah 3s pack, small light rx, hs55 equivalent servo's.

Examples

Battery:
http://www.valuehobby.com/product_de...=8&item_id=370

Servos:
http://www.valuehobby.com/product_de...=60&item_id=73

Motor:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=2048

Esc:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=2163
Old 08-14-2011, 12:53 PM
jmcowart

Thanks very much for the information and insights, John. I had based by choices on the listing of Motor and Battery Info shown on the downloaded plans and on the "foamyfactory" web site.

I sure agree the battery choice was scary., but the combination listed 38.5 ounces thrust from that setup, and that appealed to me. I believe I will go with your setup, of course - except the servos, which I have already ordered.......

Thank you again for your help. It is much appreciated. As Istumble along this process I ask your patience if I come up with future uninformed questions and problems...

I'm looking forward to this. Best Regards, Mike.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:20 PM
jmcowart

John, do you mean a motor like the Hacker A series 20-20L or the B Series 20-20L? The B Series 20-20L is listed as an outrunner, which was the Hobby King version (outrunner). Hobby King however, is backordered -20, so Iam looking elsewhere and think I'm looking for a B20-20L (Hacker) clone or a Hacker itself.

Secondly, if the weight permits, would a LiPO 3S 2200 mah be too much? I was thinking it might give a bit longer durationoperation, even if Iwere to power out of problems a lot.....

Thank you for the help. You are a great resource for a beginner like me. Mike
Old 08-14-2011, 08:23 PM
JohnVH

A 20 - 20L sorry, A series, himax 2812-850 I have had as an equivalent that is a stick mount for easier mounting,

You want a smaller batt, 1200 is the best size, maybe go 1500 max, but the battery is the place where you add weight fast.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:02 AM
jmcowart

Thanks, Man. I'll go with the 1500. By the way - its not my intention to keep bothering you with details, but it is sure nice to have someone you can turn to when don't know which way to go. I'm going to either order or pick up an A20-20L with 10 X 4.7 slow flyer prop today... Mike.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:22 AM
JohnVH

No problem! Just keep in mind, on small electrics, lighter is better.