Community
Search
Notices
3DFoamy Support Click here to get all your 3DFoamy support questions answered.

Edge 540 Setup

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2005, 11:41 PM
BoneDoc
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Edge 540 Setup

Got a couple of questions here.

I got the Edge 540 PRO from RCAirworks, and this is my second foamy (but my first profile since my first one was a hellraiser). I've had SA models, a gasser, and my last one was H9 Showtime, so I "think" I know how to setup my planes, but ... I'm having a couple of issues

1. The wing has a slight dihedral from the spar. Is this part of the design?
2. I didn't set it up for an outrunner, but instead, I used the e-flightline outrunner stick mount, which does lower the thrustline. Does this affect anything?

At any rate, I used the 90' jig, and everything came out straight as far as I can tell (other than the dihedral. i set my cg at the spar, or slightly behind it. On my first flight, the plane just feels "funny." Maybe as if the cg is aft, but it hunts and doesn't feel solid. It feels more like the prop is yanking it through the air as compared to the plane flying on its wings. It definitely does not feel like what the ad says when Levy said "You won't feel like you're flying a flat plate airplane." Another issue is that when I put it on its side, there's a pretty big roll coupling with KE. At that CG, it seems that upright and inverted is the same. It definitely hovers and harrier easily, but I want to do more than just that with my foamy. I love doing snaps, and it snapped terrible, not the "clean" snap I was hoping / expecting. Another issue is that even at full rate, my roll rate is pretty slow, maybe about 1 per second or slightly less. I can get 45' at least during static testing

Here's my setup
Edge 540
MTM 400T Brushless (42g, 1300 Kv)
APC slowfly 10 x 3.8 with propsaver
2 x HS55 on the rudder and tail, 2x 6g Draganfly servos on the ailerons
TP 1320 Gen2
Berg 5 channel (non glitching one )

I did do something a bit differently on this one. I used a 26g magnet wires as extension wires, basically cutting the servo wire, and soldering the magnet wire in between on the HS55 servos. On static testing, it seems to do the job fine. The HS55 move just as fast. I did have those servos glitch a little bit, but that was just a one time deal. Another time, it didn't do that at all.

I guess what I'm wondering is (because this is my first profile) is this: Is this plane designed to be able to do percision maneuvers and snap as well as a 25-30% scale Edge? When correctly setup, will it fly IMAC sequences just as well as 3D sequences? I need to know what to expect, so I can continue tweaking it until I get it right.

One more thing, Does the kit suppose to come with a back plane for radial mounting of outrunners? Mine doesn't have one, and does that mean I have a slightly "older" verson?

Thanks for the help. All the inputs are greatly appreciated.

Josh
Old 09-26-2005, 01:13 AM
XpastywhiteboyX
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Edge 540 Setup

Hello,

Il see If i can remember to answer all your questions. Lets start with the way it flies. The way I ballance mine is i put it on a 45 upline roll inverted and see what it does. I like my plane slightly nose heavy, so i look for it to tick to the canopy a little. If you want it perfect that you should look for it to continue on that line, and if you want it tail heavy you should see it tuck to the belly a little bit. I personally find they seem to fly a little better when the CG is slightly forward.

As for the roll rate. The 6g servos your using are getting blow back. In other words they dont have adiquate torque to move the surfaces 45 degrees. I would upgrade them to hs 55's.

Precision/3d: The plane IS a foamy, Its not going to fly precision like a giant scale plane. However the "g" force wing does help it fly more in the direction of a giant scale plane and not a foamy. What you should look for is at mid range throtle, it is tacking straight, not hunting, and that the plane is not pitch sensative.

Coupling: Most foamys do have a little coupling, If it is a neusance its fairly easy to mix out, if you need help mixing it out tell me what radio you have and il explaine further in detail how to go about doing this.

Dihedral: The plane SHOULD'NT have dihedral, It should have a curved spar, but not dihedral,

Gear box: The E-Flightline gearbox is awsome! You will love it and the slight change in thrustline shouldnt change anything drasticly. I hope I covered everything, if not keep the questions rolling.

John
Old 09-26-2005, 04:49 AM
BoneDoc
My Feedback: (1)

is the Super Extra different and flies precision better?
Old 09-26-2005, 11:43 AM
XpastywhiteboyX
My Feedback: (5)

VERY MUCH SO!!! I actually prefer the new Super Cap that was just released a few days ago. I plan on having a video up in about 2 weeks. Best of luck.

John