Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying! > 3DFoamy Support
Reload this Page >

strengthening elevator on SuperXtra

Community
Search
Notices
3DFoamy Support Click here to get all your 3DFoamy support questions answered.

strengthening elevator on SuperXtra

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 01:21 AM
JOyog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default strengthening elevator on SuperXtra

Is there a mod out there to strengthening the elevator on the SuperXtra? Mine seems to break quite easily. I am almost tempted to put packing tape on the whole elevator on both sides. Maybe even one piece wrapped from the trailing edge on the bottom around the leading edge on one side all the way around to the trailing edge on the top. Seems to keep breaking around the carbon joiner rod. I hope someone sees this and replies...this forum seems kind of quiet.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:18 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: strengthening elevator on SuperXtra

Hi, can you specify? The glue is not sticking, or your actually breaking the foam? With a ton of these out there I have not heard of a problem like this. I have seen them crash very hard and not hurt the elevator.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:45 PM
JOyog

Hi John,

Thanks for the response...

the foam keeps breaking at the carbon joiner tube. I have also had problems with the aileron hinges breaking out of the foam on the tips. There does not seem to be enough material at the outer hinge points on the ailerons.

I think the elevators are breaking loose while flaring for a landing in tall grass, the balance tabs catch and break the elevator loose at the joiner.

I had to put packing tape on the ailerons and around the elevator joiner and balance tabs to give it some support. I hope I did not add too much weight. I will fly tomorrow and see how this fix works. The plane flies awsome and walls are a thing of beauty. I am just getting the hovering down and really like the pull out power.

If I were to build another one I would move the hinge points in on the ailerons or not used the hinge points at all and use Klett flat hinges or maybe even tape. I would also tape the elevator balance tabs on the top and bottom before assembly. I would also leave out the carbon joiner and plywood bearing and use a stiff piece of balsa to join the elevators and just cut a slot to clear the joiner.
Old 04-29-2006, 11:44 AM
JohnVH

Ahhh, ok, that explains it, as you already figured out, your flaring technique is whats doing it, you have to let off the elevator just before it touches that tall grass your flying in, there is nothing wrong with the aircraft design, same for the ailerons, with the hundreds++ of these out there I have also never had a compaint on the aileron hinging. This includes my own being thrashed and other locals Ive seen fly and crash them hard..

Have fun!
Old 12-30-2008, 05:00 PM
smh20502
My Feedback: (1)

John,

Just reading through the forum and ran across this posting....

Is this a non issue or is there some update to the build process I need to be aware of?
Old 12-30-2008, 05:05 PM
JohnVH

This is a non issue, you dont want or need full up when on the ground or landing. As with any airplane, you want to keep the counter balances off the ground so they dont catch on anything.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:16 PM
smh20502
My Feedback: (1)

figured that was the case...haven't seen anything like what joyog was describing.

can't wait for mine to get here and get it in the air..
Old 12-30-2008, 05:28 PM
JohnVH