Notices
3DFoamy Support Click here to get all your 3DFoamy support questions answered.

New Guy needs advice

Old 06-09-2006, 03:39 PM
Gumpajim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Guy needs advice

I've been out of RC for at least ten years, but I think I can handle one of these 3D Foamies. I used to fly the "Stikit IV" and other jumpy little planes and even have a few fun fly victories under my belt. I never had much use for electrics untill I saw Jeff at the local big bird fly in. Wow, things have changed with electic ariplanes!! Here are my questions. The Citabria looks like it might be a good plane for an "experienced beginner".

1. Has anyone flown it with floats? If so what float setup did you use?

2. When I feel confident enough with the high wing Citabria what is a good choice for flying close in? My back yard is surrounded by trees but I think it is possible. I see there are two "Mini Pro 3D Kits" available. Will the same motor for the 48" Citabria work for the little mini kits?

3. I notice that Hitec seems very popular now. I have always used Futaba and JR in the past and back in those days Hitec was considered second rate. How are all you Hitec users doing with your radio systems?

Thanks
Gumpajim

Old 06-09-2006, 05:33 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: New Guy needs advice

ORIGINAL: Gumpajim

I've been out of RC for at least ten years, but I think I can handle one of these 3D Foamies. I used to fly the "Stikit IV" and other jumpy little planes and even have a few fun fly victories under my belt. I never had much use for electrics untill I saw Jeff at the local big bird fly in. Wow, things have changed with electic ariplanes!! Here are my questions. The Citabria looks like it might be a good plane for an "experienced beginner".

1. Has anyone flown it with floats? If so what float setup did you use?

2. When I feel confident enough with the high wing Citabria what is a good choice for flying close in? My back yard is surrounded by trees but I think it is possible. I see there are two "Mini Pro 3D Kits" available. Will the same motor for the 48" Citabria work for the little mini kits?

3. I notice that Hitec seems very popular now. I have always used Futaba and JR in the past and back in those days Hitec was considered second rate. How are all you Hitec users doing with your radio systems?

Thanks
Gumpajim

Hi Jim, glad you could make it to our big bird! Jeff let me fly his SuperXtra and it flew great!

1. we have flown it on floats from 3DFoamy , But the GWS ones would probably work just fine.

2. The Citabria will not work on the same motor as the mini's, there is a large size difference, that said, the pro models can be flown low and slow and indoors even if you have some time under your belt.

3. Im a JR guy, but use hitec and other brand servo's with my JR radio system through a GWS RX.

Have fun!
Old 06-09-2006, 05:35 PM
JohnVH

Here is Kens Citabria on floats. I have in flight pics on my other computer.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61932.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	474869   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61879.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	474870  
Old 06-09-2006, 08:05 PM
Gumpajim

What does GWS mean? You have to understand, this whole GWS, lipo,foamy world is all new to me. I'm learning but it's a process.

Jim
Old 06-09-2006, 08:06 PM
JohnVH

GWS is a brand name.
Old 03-25-2007, 04:19 PM
azouleym

gws----Grand Wing Servo....(who knows where they got the name????)
Old 04-02-2007, 03:39 PM
Ken-h
My Feedback: (3)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey, I know the Citabria! Yeap, it's a pretty cool little plane. Fly's and 3d's very well, even with the floats on a 20L. Needs some plastic on the bottom of the foam floats as it wants to stick to the water a bit.

Ken