Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying! > 3DFoamy Support
Reload this Page >

Input needed for foamy selection

Notices
3DFoamy Support Click here to get all your 3DFoamy support questions answered.

Input needed for foamy selection

Old 12-12-2006, 05:13 PM
gliderjockey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Input needed for foamy selection

I'd like some opinions from more experienced RC'ers about which foamy to choose. I've read through the posts here as well as the site and I have a couple of concerns.

I've only had one plane with ailerons several years ago and I got tired of screwing it into the dirt. I've flown mostly control lines and 2 or 3 channel gliders. I recently got a slow stick, my first electric, and I love it. I've since mounted a geared 600 in one of my two meters and it's a blast.

Like plenty of RC fans, I fly more when all I have to do is go to the park down the street instead of packing a huge aircraft in the truck and driving miles to the field. I'm getting bored with 3 channels and I want to move on. I have been practicing with a decent simulator and I can manage 4 channels with no problems. I have a decent radio with adjustable rates, exponential, etc. ready to go.

My first concern is wind. 10 mph is average in west Texas. I need something that will not be grounded in conditions above a breeze.

Second, it looks like the Citabria might be a great choice for a first foamie. I've heard that it handles much like a trainer and is more forgiving than a mid-wing 3D. How does it handle wind?

I won't have any problems buying another plane later, so is the Citabria a decent step to a Super or similar 3D?

Finally, does anyone have experience with the Great Planes Rimfire outrunners? I have one and I'm dying to bolt it to something. I don't see many used in 3d and I'm wondering if there's a reason why.

Thanks for the help.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:27 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Input needed for foamy selection

Hi and welcome to RCU!

Ok

1. The pro planes can handle 10mph plus no problem, the supers I have flown in winds over 20mph.

2. The citabria would be, but until I get more depron I wont have any in stock for a little bit sadly.

3. I have never had a rimfire, so I cant help you there.

Good luck!

Thank you
John
Old 12-12-2006, 10:21 PM
gliderjockey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That seals it... Thanks!

I hope your supply problem gets worked out. I'm not in a hurry so I'll keep checking back.

Old 12-12-2006, 10:31 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Cool thank you for your patience!