Community
Search
Notices
3DFoamy Support Click here to get all your 3DFoamy support questions answered.

Using Ailerons as spoilers

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 02:30 PM
WJBC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using Ailerons as spoilers

Any advice on using ailerons as spoilers, and would it be best if they both went up, or both go down - to lose lift??
Old 06-08-2010, 02:32 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Using Ailerons as spoilers

not needed on my planes, but you can do them down with up elevator, and up with down elevator.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:37 PM
playntraffic

up to lose lift. mix some elevator.

try about 15 degrees and mix with the throttle so that they will go back to normal if you punch the throttle.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:15 PM
lejongleur
My Feedback: (10)

Yes, both ailerons UP (spoilerons) loses lift; both ailerons down (flaperons) increases lift. As traffic said, if you have something like a DX7 transmitter or similar, you can set up both of these on the flaps switch, and program it so that the flaps/spoilers turn OFF if you open the throttle past a (programmed) point.

Most planes tend to turn upward with flap, but some do the opposite, so whatever you program, you will need to experiment to find out how much elevator is needed to be mixed in to negate the change in attitude in either case.

If you program ailerons to go DOWN with UP elevator (a built-in mix on DX7), you will get super tight turns/loops. If you program the opposite, it will tend to increase any harriering you attempt, but beware! Having the ailerons to go UP with UP elevator may significantly affect your ability to pull up sharply from a dive. Ideally, you should try this on your simulator, if you have one.

Hope this helps!...Chris
Old 06-09-2010, 07:47 AM
WJBC

Thanks for the help. I will give it a try with up ailerons. I seem to get in the dilemma of too high to land, and too low to turn back, and I have a tiny landing area.

I thought I had an inexpensive hobby, and it was until I needed a bigger car to transport the planes, and now a bigger house, with a bigger lot.

John
Old 06-12-2010, 04:37 PM
WJBC

I am having problems finding how to get my DX6 transmitter to use the ailerions as flaps. There is a mention of "Flaoerons" in the Instruction Book, but no details

Any ideas welcome
Old 12-19-2010, 07:19 AM
Beachcomber

I see the last post was a few months ago, but hopefully this answer will get to you and help.

On the question of using DX6i for Flaperon, I'm doing that and works great for using ailerons as down-flaps to slow down my landing speed. Still have control over ailerons for keeping wings level. A slow landing speed really helps because my landing area is small also. And I use the "flaps" switch to turn on only for landing.

Looking at my transmitter program, hopefully I don't leave anything out.

1) First go into "Setup List" and then into "Wing Tail Mix". Activate "Dualaile". Item 2 won't work until you do this item 1.
2) Then go back to "Adjust List" and go into "flaps". I use down 20% for flaps and up 10% for elevator but your plane might not need that much of either. I can control altitude for landing with throttle and don't need to add any elevator until the last few seconds. Sweet.

Let us know if this works for you?
Old 06-19-2012, 08:17 PM
littlephoenix

if your ailerons have separate servos, you can do a simple mixing with dx6 dx7 and dx8, use the mixing and apply it to a switch
Old 06-20-2012, 04:38 AM
Beachcomber

ORIGINAL: Beachcomber

I see the last post was a few months ago, but hopefully this answer will get to you and help.

On the question of using DX6i for Flaperon, I'm doing that and works great for using ailerons as down-flaps to slow down my landing speed. Still have control over ailerons for keeping wings level. A slow landing speed really helps because my landing area is small also. And I use the ''flaps'' switch to turn on only for landing.

Looking at my transmitter program, hopefully I don't leave anything out.

1) First go into ''Setup List'' and then into ''Wing Tail Mix''. Activate ''Dualaile''. Item 2 won't work until you do this item 1.
2) Then go back to ''Adjust List'' and go into ''flaps''. I use down 20% for flaps and up 10% for elevator but your plane might not need that much of either. I can control altitude for landing with throttle and don't need to add any elevator until the last few seconds. Sweet.

Let us know if this works for you?
Oh, forgot to mention, this only works if you have two aileron servos, one for each side.