RCU Forums - View Single Post - another "fly without an instructor" question
Old 03-06-2006, 10:42 PM
roltech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: another "fly without an instructor" question

ORIGINAL: rdavico

I know this gets asked a lot, but my case is just a little different. I have flown my Nexstar a couple flights on a buddy box, and did OK with it. My instructor is a great guy, but our schedules conflict pretty regularly. I havent flown the Nexstar in 8 or 9 weeks, and have never taken off or landed it. Here's where it gets interesting.. A little while back, I was so anxious to start flying that I decided to get an electric plane that I could mess around with during the week while waiting to fly with the instructor on the weekend. I figured it would be cheap and not the end of the world if I wreck it. Well, it wasn't exactly what I would call cheap by the time I had charger, batteries, etc, but at least the planes themselves arent too expensive. The first electric I bought was a Great Planes Yak 55 flightflex foamie. I had a few crashes, did a lot of repairing, and got to where I could fly it around pretty good. I knew the Yak was not a begginer's plane, but I am just stubborn that way I guess. After a while the plane looked like junk with all the repair jobs I decided to get another plane. This time I picked up a GP P-51 foamie. Again it was definitely not a begginer's plane, but I wanted to find something that was going to work with the electronics, batteries, etc. from the Yak. I took it off, and everything was great. It was faster than the Yak, but it was OK. A couple minutes into the flight, for some reason I had a brain dump, and for a split second it was like I had never held a radio in my hands in my life. That was all it took, and I smacked it right into the ground. I was frustrated, and figured I need to forget about it and go back to waiting for the weekend to fly with the instructor. A couple days later, I was over it, had already spent all this money on lipos, receivers, servos, etc., that I had to continue, and bought a cap 580 "flat out" foamie. again, not a begginer's plane. Well, I have not crashed it yet, but have had a few close calls, but for the most part, I am actually flying this thing. The landing gear is definitely not intended for grass or dirt, so I havent had a smooth landing yet. It is extremely hard to fly in even a little bit of wind, buy I have leqarned to deal with it.

Now I am looking at my Nexstar again, and trying to decide if I should attempt to fly it solo. I know it is easier to fly than the foamies, but it is also more expensive. I am looking at it like it is the real thing, and the others were just toys. I know that this is wrong. What do you think? Should I be able to take off and land my Nexstar with the foamie experience I have had? BTW, I put a lot of time in on my Aerofly deluxe before I had this great idea of trying to fly a little "toy" electric all by myself.

Thanks,
Rich

Now look what you started

Good luck with any of your decision! You and only you can do that, but if you can? get an instructor It's still the way to go and you won't ruffle any feathers with asking questions (above) and like me and others will all have a different answer. You don't have to do what I did or anyone else, as long as you have safety in mind. Have fun.

roltech