RCU Forums - View Single Post - another "fly without an instructor" question
Old 03-08-2006, 02:09 PM
britbrat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: another "fly without an instructor" question

ORIGINAL: Montague

Fwiw, I totally agree with what Chuck just said. I'm not against guys learning on their own, and I that plenty have in the past.

But I also do a lot of flight instruction, and from what I've seen the vast majority of students I've worked with would never have managed to learn on their own. Not all, I have had a few "natural" students who only needed a couple of lessens and were off in no time. But they are the rare minority.

Also, the aircraft selected for a trainer, second, and even third airplane can make a huge difference in learning by yourself, while with an instructor, the aircraft is a much less important element, and the choice of a second and third airplane matters even less as far as exact model goes.

There's not a glow trainer on the market that I'd recommend to anyone flying by themselves, fwiw. If nothing else, every one of them can have problems due to being mass-produced products. With out help, you'll never know if it's your or the plane.
That pretty much says it all. Again.

This stuff keeps comming up -- over & over & over -- the answer is still the same.

There are a few fortunate types (usually young video-game enthusists) who are naturals, & can get there alone with only a few crashes, but most will dig a lot of expensive holes -- many times over, in some cases. Very occasionally there are some who will never get there, even with all of the best training aids & good instructors.

Going it alone is not a recommended path. Period.