RCU Forums - View Single Post - Successful 1st flight: novice & Aerobird Challenger
Old 03-08-2006, 06:16 PM
BobbyGee
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Successful 1st flight: novice & Aerobird Challenger

There's a lot of very valuable information you're sharing here for first timers. Especially about the size of field required for first flights. Seems folks have a hard time believing that 600' x 600' thing ....

Among other reasons for your success were: not being afraid to go into pro mode right away in order to get good response from control inputs, throttle management, and feeling out the airplane slowly and in steps.

I had a tough first few flights a couple of years ago with the ABC. I didn't have enough width to fly in - only about 400 feet between houses and a road. I used too much throttle, and I found control response sluggish. Finding a bigger field and deciding to try pro mode was where I turned the corner.

Your disciplined ans systematic approach to learning the airplane helped you a lot. I wish I had done more of the same! But that's behind me now. I've graduated into glow and have my first couple of big gasser sport planes, too. It was the ABC that set the hook!

Enjoy!

BobbyG