RCU Forums - View Single Post - Need Help!!! Great Planes Cap 21 Giant Scale (88" wingspan)
Old 03-15-2006, 03:17 PM
DRC1
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help!!! Great Planes Cap 21 Giant Scale (88" wingspan)

I'm looking for someone that built / flown / has experience with this Cap 21. Although my main reason for getting this Cap 21 is because I really liked the plane in the 80's, I thought I might use it in Basic or Sportsman to start with for IMAC. I've never flown a Cap or Extra type plane and don't have any real building experience with this kind of kit. Price was right, plane was right, so here we go...I do fly pattern currently and have about 25 years (on and off) of flying experience with sport models of various kinds over the years, but this is a different plane to fly if I'm not mistaken...

The kit has a Fiberglass Fuse, cowl, wheel pants, and a -one piece- balsa sheeted foam core wing (not started yet, still just foam cores). It also has "steel" landing gear (bet they weigh a pound by themselves...LOL), I will be going with CF Gear...LOL Try to save weight were I can...

Is it possible to make it a two piece wing without sacrificing strength?

I have thought about having all new cores cut for use with CF tubes for the wing and stabs. Possibly changing the rudder profile to more of todays Cap 232 look. Have no idea how it will change performance (if good or bad...) or if by changing the rudder will I no longer be able to fly it in IMAC Sportsman / Intermediate due to the Scale rules?

Is a DA 50 too much for this plane?

For a 21 year old kit, the foam, fuse, hardware, and wood seem good as new. However, I wonder if aged foam is weaker?

Any thoughts or helpful building tips out there?

Thanks in advance for those that wish to reply...

LD

PS...I have talked to Paul Clements, who I believe kitted this plane for Great Planes in the 80's. He did say it was a good solid plane and snapped better than any he had flown. However, it was a lead-sled built per plans and the CG on the planes is were it was happiest.