RCU Forums - View Single Post - Goldberg Ultimate 10-300 build
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2006, 07:17 PM
tuwood

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Goldberg Ultimate 10-300 build

ORIGINAL: R/C Lee

First of all, I'd like to thank you all for posting your comments on the CG Ultimate kit. Although I usually build from plans, I have always liked the looks of the Ultimate, so after reading your posts, I bought one and am building it. You are all right on about the "quality" of the kit - mine had different sized ailerons, very crummy wood for many applications, and I substituted a/c ply for many of the light ply applications. I'm a little concerned about the light ply fuselage, so I'm beefing it up in the nose area, dural gear support, and wing supports. Instead of the hinges supplied, I like to use the "sewn coverite" type of hinge which gives me a sealed joint and stronger hinge joints to help eliminate flutter. I'm going to use separate servos for the elevators with carbon fibre pushrods; kevlar pull-pull for the rudder; and 4 servos for the ailerons with a JR matchbox. Since I fly off a grass field, I am putting the servo arms and control horns on the top of the lower wing so they don't catch in our high grass. With a Saito 125 up front, I want to have as much control as possible. Wings and tail are complete, waiting for the Stan's f/g cowl and dural gear so I can complete the fuselage.

Lee
Looks like you've got a pretty good setup going there. I was a little worried about the fuse material, but it makes a pretty stout box when it all gets glued together. I did still add some triangle stock here & there to add a little extra insurance.

Shortly after I bought my first plane I saw a video of a large Ultimate harriering on the deck with smoke all around it. From that moment on, I had to have one!!

I'm glad you're getting some value out of this thread, please feel free to post your progress.