RCU Forums - View Single Post - Should I drop a GP Cub 40 for a different plane?
Old 03-18-2006, 11:38 PM
N46203

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I drop a GP Cub 40 for a different plane?

Well a few years back I recieved a Great Planes Cub for my birthday. Just the kit pretty much, no real hardware to go with it. I started to build it and stopped having one side of the wing done and the fuselage partly done. I picked the building back up recently, as I got a second wind in RC flying because of a delay in my real flight training.

I'm having fun building it, but the thing is, I don't want to fly it! I'm working on being proficient with my Goldberg Eagle 2, and I'm getting there. I can do greasers every time, I'm just working on precision. Anyways, my eventual hope is to get into warbirds, so what I really want for my second plane is something with a low wing and some maneuverability. Reason being, I need to work on my skills so that one day I can build and fly a warbird.

This brings up a serious problem for me, as I am at a stage in the building of my Piper Cub where I NEED the engine and radio gear to continue. But I'm just not willing to spend the money on a plane I don't really feel like flying. I have been seriously considering storing it away and purchasing a more suitable plane for my needs, such as a Goldberg Tiger 60 or a Top Flite Contender. But I also feel the need to finish this plane, just because it's there. So, now for your opinions... Do you think I can benefit any from building and finishing the Cub now? Or should I purchase a different plane, finish that, and save the Cub for a time when I really want to fly it?

Thanks for your help!