RCU Forums - View Single Post - Super Sabre Video Question
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2006, 01:49 PM
jimcork1
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Super Sabre Video Question

[/quote]

That was an early test flight and the pilot died in that crash. It's amazing how long that guy held the aircraft, but it was a matter of time. The F-100 didn't have enough thrust to climb out of that high alpha situation, and the pilot tried to save it rather than punch out. I am a little suprised that the term "saber dance" seems unknown to so many RC pilots these days. Twenty years ago, everyone knew what that meant.

Bob
[/quote]
I had a friend who saber danced a T38 on landing as #4 in a 4 ship formation landing. The bird pitched up and he hit full AB. He was able to recover because he was minimum fuel. After the flight I asked why he didn't punch out. His answer, "I had both hands on the stick pushing forward to get the nose down and everytime I tried to move one hand to eject it tried to roll over on it's back so I held on for the ride". So it is possible the F100 driver was holding on to prevent higher pitchup but he was too heavy and too little power to recover. Just another opinion based on actual happening. Selma AFB 1970 B Flight. Class of 70-04 Sember Uptitus Jim