RCU Forums - View Single Post - "OFFICIAL"Redcat Racing 1/8th BUGGY thread (not truck thread)
Old 03-23-2006, 01:11 PM
trpastor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: "OFFICIAL" Redcat Racing 1/8th BUGGY thread (not truck thread)

Hey -

I did just pick up a Hyper 7PBS. It's used but in really good shape. It has the .21

I've also had the 9.5

I also know the Ultra comp well as I was very close to buying it.

Here's my evaluations. The Ultra Comp is not as good as the Himoto/Redcat. Go with the redcat before you go with that one

The Hyper seems stronger in the front hubs. The PBS seems like a stronger system but the rest is about the same. The shock towers are stronger on the Hyper 7 and 9.5 (thicker that is) BUT you can buy upgrade shock towers for the Himoto/Redcat that are just as strong

FInally the Himoto/Redcat is lighter. The Ofna's are beasts. Which probably means it's not going to be as fast. I have just started leaning out the .21 hyper 7 yesterday and it looks like it's gonna run pretty well, but the Redcat is definitly faster so far

I haven't had the Hyper7 Long enough to know but lets just say the 9.5 I resold a little after having both the Himoto/Redcat and the Ofna. I had a few issues with the engine but even when I got it working well I just thought the Himoto was simpler lighter cleaner overall. A lot more fun. It ran great out of the box and I got it brand new with .27 engine and FM radio for cheaper than a used ofna ($260 on ebay). Redcat sells um for about $329 I think and they will give you great service too.

I have taken mine into the LHS (2 different ones) and both of the people had the same reactions when I told them price and looked at how it was built. IT has some REALLY quality things and some things that are not as good as the ofna. The center braces are ALUMINUM BARS on the Redcat, while it's plastic on even the hYper 7. The hyper 7 has a stronger front end but it is heavier too (so probably slower) You wont' be sorry with either the redcat or the Hyper 7 and if you are it's something you're doing probably

I personally when I get time wanna race the Himoto just to beat the equipment snobs

Tim