RCU Forums - View Single Post - Diamond Dust Modified
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2006, 06:57 PM
WD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Diamond Dust Modified

Bob,

I had already considered making the trailing edge fixed between the fins. As a matter of fact I have a piece cut just for that purpose, but I have about decided that the center piece of wood will not support the weight of the plane when gripping in this location without breaking off. The plane is really nose heavy gripped in this manner. I thought landing could also be a problem with this modification in that the elevons would be in a high up position and the fixed piece would be the first part of the plane to touch the ground thus being more likely to break off. The fixed piece is to long to be able to just cup your hand around it and grip the center section of the plane. I was thinking about just removing some of the inboard part of the elevons so I can just grip the center section between the fins. This area of the plane is really strong where I reinforced it with ply. This would leave about a 4" gap between the elevons. What is your thoughts on this? Do you think the 4" gap between the elevons would be a problem?

Bill