RCU Forums - View Single Post - Is dope & fabric covering dead?
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2006, 05:43 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Is dope & fabric covering dead?

ORIGINAL: TripleDeucer

I have noticed on the Sig website, you can't buy dope in colors any more in any bigger than a pint. Must be the new owner or haz-mat charges and restrictions. Makes it pretty spendy to finish anything large.
You can get both Nitrate and Butyrate in most any size that you want from Randolph, Aircraft Spruce Supply, or probably from your local Fixed Base Operator (if they have a repair facility). I even found a small supply at (of all places) HobbyTown. and it was even Aerogloss. (probably just luck on my part) The biggest headache with getting dope shipped to you, is the HazMat surcharge. Sometimes that charge is more than the product costs. I would reccomend buying at least in gallon lots. Keep it stored correctly, and it lasts for years. Share it with a friend, or even split the order with someone in your area that is doing a covering project (at least for the clear, thinner and silver base) You never know, you might form a lasting friendship, and one or the other may learn a new technique from the other guy.

Side note to you new guys. Learn from those of us who are the Old Farts before we all die off. I mean the stuff it took us 50 or 60 years to learn. We are willing to teach, and share what we have found out the hard way. (note: leave attitude at home) [8D]