RCU Forums - View Single Post - Goldberg Ultimate 10-300 build
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2006, 07:40 PM
tuwood

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Goldberg Ultimate 10-300 build

ORIGINAL: rangerman

ORIGINAL: tuwood

Hopefully we don't have to turn it into a repair thread... (knock on wood)
You'll do fine. Maybe you should tell them at work that you have a new baby at home so you can leave early. LOL!

On the exhaust I had decided to just use silicone tube from the exhaust to the oil tank and I was talking to RC Don and he agreed so that fixes that. More testing this weekend. I'm curious to see how much more weight it will be. Everything but the bass mounts for the tank can be removed later.
Dang it, I have to perform some emergency surgery tonight. I was doing the final run in on the engine tonight prior to tomorrow's flight & when I was done I picked it up & heard a loud clunk in the left wing. [:@]
My 1/2 oz. weight's that I put in the end of each wing tip vibrated loose. I just stuck them in with the self adhesive that came on the weights and apparently that wasn't much. The crappy part is they vibrated around so much that the monokote looks like it had a woodpecker trapped inside & has a bunch of puncture looking holes in it.
Oh well, yet again something I'd rather catch on the ground than in the air.

I have an engine question for the 4 stroke experts out there. I was having a tough time tweaking my engine in because it seemed as though I could never find where it was peaked or not. For example I started breaking the engine in at 5 turns out (per the manual) and the peak RPM was around ~7000 & I turned it one turn in (4 turns) & had it up to around 8000 RPM's. (what I posted the other day)
today I went out & started turning it in slowly & it never changed. It stayed at 8000 RPM's. The only thing that would be different would be the engine vibration would decrease as I made it leaner. I turned it in so that it was 2 & 1/2 turns briefly & it started to go down so I backed it back out to around 3 & 1/2 turns out where it's still at 8000 RPM's. I guess the part that's confusing me is why does it have such a huge range with the same RPM? I would vary the throttle slightly & the RPM's would go down, so my tach's working.
I still had a nice trail of smoke, so I think I'm still running rich.
It runs really good & is very responsive all the way through the throttle range, so I think it's safe to fly.
I'll certainly have some of the experts at my club take a look at it tomorrow before I fly. It seems like it's still vibrating a bit much, but this is my first 4 stroke.
I did get the low end needle adjusted down to where I have a pretty steady idle at around 2200 RPM's.