RCU Forums - View Single Post - Goldberg Ultimate 10-300 build
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2006, 11:12 PM
tuwood

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Goldberg Ultimate 10-300 build

ORIGINAL: jrbmoto

My suggestion would be to start at 4 1/2 turns out, then slowly turn the needle in until it reaches peak RPMs. Then back it out until you see a slight drop in RPM, maybe 7800. Once in the air, your engine will unload, therefore the increse in RPM will require more fuel to keep things cool...You get the idea...Always error on the rich side especially with a cowled engine. You can always bring her back and tweek her a little bit if she seems a little fat. The most important thing is to not over heat that nice new motor!!
Thanks for the advice jrbmoto.

I just got back from my monthly club meeting & posed my issue to them. They said that my prop was a little too much for the motor to spin up on the ground. They said the same as you that it would spin faster in the air.
One recommended going with a smaller prop because you can dial in the mixture a little better on the ground because 8000 RPM's is a little low in the power band.
I might see if I can pick up a 16x6 or 16x7 at the LHS before I hit the field tomorrow & give it a try.

I'm off to epoxy the weights into the wing tip.

BTW, everyone really like my plane tonight. Several people thought it was an ARF & wanted to know who made it. lol