RCU Forums - View Single Post - Hangar 9 33% Edge 540 - Part 3
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2006, 12:55 PM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Hangar 9 33% Edge 540 - Part 3

I'm back from Toledo in recuperation mode. Once rested, I'll finish up my Edge 540 project since I now have all the pieces. I shared a room with our sponsored 3D pilot, Devin McGrath and his Dad, Ron. Between early morning booth duty and the nightime events, I didn't get much sleep as Devin won the E-X Games and placed 11th in the final round of the ETOC competition. It was a great deal of fun!

I found some of the older JR 8611 digital servos so I bought 2 to have a spare for my Edge 540 just in case I needed it. My dual 8611 servo combination on a 6v supply will provide 520oz./in. torque on the rudder surface. Note that a JR Matchbox is required to keep the two servos from fighting each other and drawing excessive current. The Matchbox also allows for servo reversal so you don't need a special "reverse" servo. The pushbutton setup on the JR Matchbox is very convenient!

My batteries were brought to the Toledo show after being re-configured into 6s2p and 4s2p BalancePro HD packs. These are older Kokam 2100mAh (20C) cells that can really withstand some punishment at sustained 20C levels. They never sold well due to their weight and shape that we called "Pop Tarts" after the famed breakfast food. The cells were discontinued.

Each 10s configuration weighs 55oz for a total battery weight of 110oz or 6.9lbs. Every pack gets plugged into a BalancePro HD 6s Discharge Protection Module (DPM) with the optional LED/Speaker modules. The 6s and 4s Dean's Ultra connectors will plug into a Series Connector Module so their is a complete 10s power supply for each motor.

If the 4200mAh capacity (for each motor) is not enough flight time, I will then upgrade to our new 5AH cells that will be available in a month or two.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14989.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	442632   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk30936.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	442633   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr40048.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	70.4 KB