RCU Forums - View Single Post - Pit stop servo change- Matchmaker
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2006, 11:30 PM
Don Szczur
My Feedback: (1)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Pit stop servo change- Matchmaker

I have a new tool in the box. It's called a Matchmaker. It's about the same size as a Matchbox but does a completely different function. Ever want to test your servos out to make sure they are ok? Ever want to change some aileron or stab servos without having to put the whole plane together and hook up for centering? This device is perfect for the job. It does the same function as the servo tester on the 10X but better- it allows you to do it with the wing or stab on the workbench rather than on the plane.

The Matchmaker has four slots. The first two slots are to test servos for any bad spots- for example, around neutral the pot tends to wear. I realized tonight when I was doing the rolling figure S that it was difficult keeping a constant roll rate during the rolling loops as part of F07. After testing the servos on the Matchmaker, it became obvious what the issue was (the resolution in one spot of the servo was off due to wear over the last year or so). You can also test up to two servos with the first two slots. There is a small knob that lets you adjust the speed of the servo. It will cycle back and forth very slow, or very fast depending where you turn the knob.

The other two slots on the Matchmaker are for centering. You can move the servo manually and there are three indents- one for neutral, one for one travel extreme and one for the other. That way you can set up a control surface without ever having to hook up to the fuselage (rx). The really nice thing is that you can put a piece of velco on to a 4.8v battery, and then just stick the Matchmaker to the battery. It's very compact in this configuration. It also lets you test/replace two servos quickly and simultaneously. Really helpful when you are at the field and want to match the servos without binding. With the wing off the plane its a lot easier this way.

Three steps. First plug in the servo to the matchmaker and set to neutral. Mark the aileron position with a small line as reference.

Second, plug an extension on the servo lead, take the servo out and unplug, and plug in a replacement servo. Tape the connector and pull the extension back through. Screw the new servo in place and its done. Plug the matchmaker into the new servo and set neutral. The Hanger 9 titanium rods are very nice. You don't have to disconnect a ball link. Just turn the pushrod a little with some pliers so the reference lines you draw on the aileron and wing trailing edge match up. Done!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51813.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	443157   Click image for larger version

Name:	So42547.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	443158   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc78587.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	21.2 KB