RCU Forums - View Single Post - WOW! Another Sig Somethin Extra Build
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2006, 12:49 PM
MasterAlex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WOW! Another Sig Somethin Extra Build

Rather than create a new message, I thought I'd add to the thread. Hopefully that sits well with everyone...

Anyway, back on page 6 of this thread, there was some discussion about modifying the tail wheel assembly. Well, I have purchased a sullivan tail wheel assembly [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&W=001067986&I=LXFV47&P=K]Tower Link[/link] and now have a few questions regarding how to install...

I took a picture so you can all see what I am talking about.

1) This is the hard point doubler. Someone (I believe it was Steve Campbell), indicated that this piece should be replaced with Aircraft Ply. What exactly is that?

2) There's a blind nut that is installed in the bottom of the fuselage here. It is used for the Tail Wires that support the Tail Feathers. The Sullivan unit is going to cover this - as you can see smack in the middle of the tail wheel assembly. As luck would have it, this does not lineup with one of the 4 holes in the tail wheel assembly. So my questions are:

a) Should I lineup the support hole with one of the holes in the tail assembly so the tail wires can be installed through the tail wheel assembly?

b) Doing this will move the assembly forward/back and no longer be aligned with the hingeline of the Rudder - presumably this is not good.

c) If I need to keep the assembly aligned to the hingeline, should I install the tailwheel assembly using the 2 outter holes to secure to the fuselage and enlarge the 2 inner holes so they "uncover" the blind nut for the tail wires?

d) Is there some other - easier way?

3) As you can see the tail wheel assembly has a triangular shape. The Tail Wires connect to the bottom of the fuselage and are screwed into the blind nut (referenced in #2). With the tail assembly in place, it seems to me that the connection of the tail wires is going to be sloppy and require a much longer bolt. Am I better off removing the portion of the Assembly outlined in #3? I'd think not ... but I am trying to anticipate attaching the wires to that triangular piece and feel that may be nasty too. What do you guys think?

Appreciate the advice!

-MA

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11776.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	444687