RCU Forums - View Single Post - Harbor Freight trailer frame
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2006, 09:36 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Harbor Freight trailer frame

Yeah! I chunked the hinges also. Had some steel 1/8"x1 1/4" laying around and put that in place of the hinges. I've got the deck down and the lower frame done. About half way done with the top. Its going to be a clam shell type hinged setup. The top of the shell is curved so no water will stand on it. The skins will be luann wood painted with outside latex paint. Been thinking about painting it cub yellow with the black lightning bolt. The average person on the road wouldnt know if it ment anything or not. Take a look at your wheels and hubs. The holes on my wheels dont line up exactly with the hub bolts. I can see gaps in the rim holes even after they were tightened. I did a test tow with it and it didnt bounce around so I guess they did whatever they had to to get it lined up. I'll need to mark it so they'll go on the same. Its looking like the total finished cost might be around $550, doesnt include the registration. Im planning on making 5 "U" slots to hold 1" pvc (with pipe insulation) to hold the wings in the top section. When I open the top and prop it up, I take out the wings then remove the 1" pvc, then remove the fuses. When you close the top, there will be blocks that hold the 1" pvc in place so they wont jump out of the cradle while driving. I'm still debating on what to do about the tail lights. I want them flush too, but its not that important at the moment.

I'm just starting into giant scale (about 2 years now) so I wanted a box that would handle a future 1/3 scale super cub and the big Don Smith B-29. Thats about as big as I'll get. Just looking at it, I'll bet I could fit two 90" warbirds and a couple of .60 sized warbirds at once.

The build is going faster than I expected. I hope to be painting it by next weekend. Then I gotta get a hitch for the honda civic.
Edwin