RCU Forums - View Single Post - Simple question
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2006, 11:41 PM
PlaneHeli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Simple question

Ironmonkey,

I have a Calmato Sports Trainer (low wing).

I fly off a dirt strip and the tyres were too small and were starting to damage after only a few flights. Therefore I replaced them with 3.25 inch hard foam tyres. They work great.
I needed to replace the gear though as the original were too short to fit the wheels.

Its a great intermediate plane to fly but caution on the quality. After only 20 flights the top tail covering peeled off in flight. After repairing that, the very next flight the fin covering peeled off in flight.

I have since fixed strong tape to the leading edges of all wings and the fin to prevent this in future. My model is blue, as I couldnt get the red. The tape I fitted is red so I can see the wing easier when landing as the blue blends in the dark sky behind. Get a bright color for a trainer red, yellow. pink --(AAGGHH only joking)

I assume your talking about the high wing trainer, so fitting bigger wheels wont be a problem with that gear.
Also consider tapeing the leading edges.

Im not sure what quality other ARF kits are, but thought this was very poor. The finish looked great out of the box though.
I think theyre assembled in China (as with most things now) so quality assurance is not guaranteed.

Cheers