RCU Forums - View Single Post - MAN renewal? No, thanks.
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2006, 07:43 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: MAN renewal? No, thanks.

ORIGINAL: blw

I did like 3-D Flyer at first, but they went downhill fast, very fast.
Ad dollars rule in that game; if you want to make a living. The heli mag I wrote for "told it like it was"; and subsequently, did NOT enjoy multi-buck ad contracts from the big-money boys. It survived (and does to this day), but hasn't thrived. The current publisher and all previous ones, including the founder, had day jobs. IOW, if you are depending on your publication as your main income, and don't keep the advertisers happy, you don't eat.

I remember back in the 80s when I began the hobby, that MAN was my favorite of all the mags I subscribed to. In retrospect, I have to wonder; was it that good back then, or I just didn't know any better???

Anyway, I'll agree that R/C Report and Flying Models are about the only US mags that still give solid, BELIEVABLE information. I had thought FM was gone, but picked up the May '06 issue and was impressed; think I'll subscribe.

And the AMA mag is in a class by itself; FWIW, I think the facelift it has gotten over the past few years is excellent, and the editorial staff does a good job of balancing each issue. As for MAN, Fly R/C, and the other "glossies"; I find them useful to thumb through while waiting for the wife to finish her grocery shopping. I'll even buy one occasionally. But subscribe?

No way.