RCU Forums - View Single Post - MAN renewal? No, thanks.
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2006, 01:13 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: MAN renewal? No, thanks.

Good question. There would be SO many variables... but given the general skinflint attitude most modelers seem to have nowadays, would anyone even BUY such a publication?

You would have to be VERY careful to keep such a volume as professional as possible, to maintain credibility. I am reminded of a certain group of guys who were tired of the fluff reviews in gun magazines (this problem of advertising buying good reviews is NOT restricted to our hobby) and created their own "Gun Tests" magazine. At first, it seemed pretty good. Then, you realized the people doing the "testing" were just a bunch of beer-swilling rednecks; the very epitome of what responsible gun owners want to avoid as an image.

Sort of like the "More POWER, dude!"... "3D ROX, man!" types in our hobby. Their enthusiasm is commendable, but their attitudes/actions reinforces the average non-hobbiest's opinion that we are kids playing with kid's toys.

I expect nothing much will change; the glossies will still publish "reviews" that leave out quite a bit of important detail; and people will still buy those glossies to ooh and aah over the pro photography.

Let's hope RCU is still around to stem the tide of magazine BS...