RCU Forums - View Single Post - Cox micro wings with ailerons
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2006, 03:41 PM
quint-rcu
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cox micro wings with ailerons

I had assembled and flown the F-4 and the P-51 on the stock motors with a 300mah Li-Po and stock elevator/rudder/throttle setup with many nice flights. Plenty of power, etc, BUT, the aileron bug got me too and I built a P-47 with ailerons. W-A-Y more fun and response - now it can do pretty nice rolls and even get inverted for a while.

Started out by cutting out the front wing retainer snap area, marking out the fuselage width and digging a shallow pocket (Hooray for a Dremel tool) to get room for mounting a servo sideways in the wing center section, just be sure not to go all the way trough the foam at the bottom. I glued a pair of 1/8" balsa strips to the leading edge to catch the fuselage at the front and left the rear snap alone (sort of the same installation used to secure the wings on an conventional engine powered plane). The servo is then installed transversely in the dug out area with the arm sticking up and moving from side to side.

The linkage is a single length of .015 wire passing through the servo arm at the center (a simple 'Z' bend there will eliminate the need for a heavy retainer since adjustment will be at the aileron ends). The wire is run inside a pair of K & S 1/16" x .014" aluminum tubing pieces formed to a radius (around an old pot) and spot glued to the top of the wing. The whole assembly looks like a bow with the tube guides arcing back from the leading edge to the stock aileron positions. I put the control horns on the top of the wing so they wouldn't catch or drag and be damaged on landings. Glued the rudder on straight and spray painted the whole model with a very light silver coat before applying the decals. - I just don't like the 'zebra stripe' color scheme on the P-47.

The P-47's flying weight using Bluebird 4.3 gram servos, a Bluebird receiver and an E-Tec 300mah Li-Po still came out around 4.9 oz. - Guess digging out some foam and removing one snap made up the weight of the tubing since the wire is the same weight as the rudder linkage would have been. A bonus was that the CG came out right without needing any ballast thanks to the forward placement of the servo and linkage.

These little warbirds are a hoot! and the installation method has been previously well documented here on RCU.