Thread: Grumman XF5F
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2006, 09:13 AM
beenie
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Grumman XF5F

Jimmy,
Thanks for the pics. That is a neat looking plane. I was also concerned about getting enough throw from the rudders. How is the linkage set up on your plane? I was going to use flex cables that would be perpendicular to the rudder. They would attach to a control horn that extends foward of the hinge line. How difficult was it to balance? I noticed that it had the short nacelles, I had to lengten mine to help with any cg problems. I am a bit concerned about your powerplant. I have run a Magnum .30fs for several years and it is a great little motor. It has been very reliable and just a good motor. I ran it in a Sig 1/6 scale cub, and at 5.5 lbs, it was very scale powered. I now run it in a 3 lb Ag-cat biplane and it is a little overpowered, but not by much. I think that an 8.5 lb plane may be a bit much for these little engines. Also, a 10x6 prop might be a little much, I run an 11x4 and it works great, I think that a 10x5 would be good and a 9x6 works great if you have the cowl clearance. I would be interested what you get from the static thrust test. If i can find my scale maybe I'll do one on my single.
Ben