RCU Forums - View Single Post - RCV Engines
Thread: RCV Engines
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2006, 07:01 PM
jp928
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RCV Engines

I have just bought a 120sp and started bench running it. CHecked how many turns out needle was, but left it alone for first runs. I modified the starter hex key to be ball ended to allow some angle with starter bolt head, and fixed the adapter to a ducted fan starter wand I already had. This has a cone ended fitting (like those used to start helicopters), so you can use a normal spinner starter rubber in your starter motor. We also apply a little vaseline to the end to reduce wear on the bolt head. Down side of this starting method is it always needs at least 2 people....
Anyway, works a treat - get it primed, start it spinning, apply plug, it runs, easy as that, always starts first try. First few runs we stopped it as soon as it got smelly hot, well before 15mins as in book. Initially very obvious gear feel as you turn it, but by 3rd tank much improved, getting smoother each run, and compression is great. It is spitting a lot of oil out the breather, probably due to ring not bedded in yet, and I am using a fuel on hand - 15% Klotz, 3% castor, 10% nitro, so oil is a bit high, but I doubt it will do any harm. Will go to 15% total oil after a couple more tanks. Prop is APC 18x12 2B.
After a few more runs I propose to turn the cylinder casing to give me a side start and the exhaust straight down, so it will go out the cooling air exit - I would have thought this would be a preferred set up for scale use - I doubt anybody would want to do straight down starts behind the prop due to loads on u/c? Planned end use is in an ESM Sea Fury, using a 15.5 x 12 4B Bolly prop, around 12lbs.
jp