RCU Forums - View Single Post - Horizon Hobby Yak 54F, anyone fly yet?
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2006, 10:54 AM
jrobert59

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Horizon Hobby Yak 54F, anyone fly yet?

Since there have been some recent posts on this plane I thought I would chime in. I have the E-flite Yak and it's OK but I do have some problems with it.

The main issue is getting the CG correct. Because of the landing gear slot and the aileron servo the battery pack either has to be too far forward or too far back. When the battery is in the rearward position behind the aileron servo the plane actually climbs when inverted. When the battery is in the front compartment I think it's pretty difficult to do 3D.

I know some have built a platform over the aileron servo to place the battery pack in that position. I guess I'm just not that industrious and I fly my other planes more often (like the Airfoilz Yak). Another issue is the roll rate is fairly slow. Probably because of just one aileron servo. Again, not a bad plane but I think there are better designed planes out there that fly well out of the box.

Finally, the plane is pretty stiff in the air but is pretty fragile when transporting around. I've cracked the fuselage a few times just from carrying the plane.

If anyone has found some solutions to these issues I would be happy to hear them.