RCU Forums - View Single Post - Top Flite 1/7 P-51 Build
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2006, 07:22 AM
ticketec
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite 1/7 P-51 Build

Hey niceguy1817,

The diagram you are looking for is on page 10, middle of the page. Jut a rough guide as to how to cut the sheeting out...

Well,

Finally got back onto my Mustang. I layed some fiberglass on the landing gear area to make the gear doors. I used Jamie Duff's idea of some heat shrink film on the surface before laying the glass. I also put some automotive canubra wax down to ease the removal after the resin had gone off. I tried 2x 6oz cloth with a 9oz in between them. Still pretty weak, so i can jsut imagen how floppy Jamie Duff's 3x 3/4oz would have been!

I have just check the next lay-up i did and this time i used 3x 9oz cloth between 2x 3oz cloth. i Also ensured 45 degree cross weaves in the glass this time. Very rigid, maybe a little too much ( i'm thinking of weight saving). If you lay if up again Jamie, I would try the 3x 9oz and see how that goes.

I glassed a fairly large area, which means i will hopefuly throw away a good portion of the glass, but the first layup weight was 110g the second was 190g..... If you came inbetween those two weights and throw away half the material they i would be pretty happy with that result. I'm just going to use the heavier one unless the "composite technicians" at work agree that i can get extra rigidity from another layer of glass (or carbon) on the lighter one.

anyone who has experience in glassing wings.. Would i be better off glassing the wing and then cutting out the retract holes in the skin or can i do them now? These will be my first glassed wings.

thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91584.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	457327