RCU Forums - View Single Post - Predator II ??
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2006, 06:31 PM
Airbike
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Predator II ??

I think everybody agrees that a heavier plane will be slower for the same conditions. I don't even think the heavier plane is noticeably more stable in windy weather (we're talking just a few ounces here).

Reno, you missed some impromtu laps at Whittier last Sat afternoon. However, the local club guys got all upset at not following the AMA rules. (Well, really at a novice flyer that flew so wide, he was basically over the pits). They didn't get upset when we were doing laps really tight at the runway.

Anyways, its almost like no flying behind the "standard pilot flight line" except during an official event. So technically, no lap practice except the afternoon before the race and during the race. All other times, its against AMA rules.....[:@]

I think if we kept safety in mind, it shouldn't be a problem. We waited until others had landed before we launched. It's probably best to do lap practice only when there is hardly anyone there. A while back, the park police gave another flyer a hard time when he did some "laps" while standing on the runway.

What's the optimum CG for a quickie? I'm just trying to adjust battery location so that the plane will fly level without elev trim (drag). Is it better to be a bit nose heavy (perhaps more stable)? or is it better to have the CG farther aft (perhaps less tail downforce, less drag)?