RCU Forums - View Single Post - CG Chipmunk mods
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2006, 09:28 AM
RVM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CG Chipmunk mods

I am planning on building a CG Super Chipmunk here soon. I built one years ago and remember that there was quite a bit I wanted to change about it, but got out of the hobby before I could build a second one. Of course, I may just get an ARF or something since my building skills seem to have deteriorated. [sm=tongue.gif]

I'd like to use the best of everything in this plane. At the first of next year I want to start getting into 35%-40% planes and figure I should start familiarizing myself with all the latest gear early. Chipmunk should be a good place to start. Anyway, does anyone have any mods they've done that have really improved the plane?

This is my list so far from what I can remember about the kit and what I've read here:

Robart Hinge Points
Fiberglass cowl, wingtips and the bottom center wing part
Two aileron servos, no flaps (first one I built had flaps)
I'd like to try rounding the bottom of the fuselage if I can do this without adding weight or sacrificing strength
Generally building the plane lighter, though I'm not sure the best way to do this without compromising structural integrity
Pull-pull rudder (used this on my first one), though not sure of servo placement this time around
Increasing rudder and elevator surface area if this would be beneficial
Generally replacing all hardware with the kit

I am going to use a Saito .91S for power. I hope this will give unlimited vertical if I can build the plane light enough.
I am going to switch from my heavy NiCd rx batteries to LiPo. I think I'll need a voltage regulator for this to bring it down to 6v. I'll also use a MPI miracle switch, so I figure I can use their regulator. Anything else that I need to know to run LiPos?
Going to use my JR 811 servos and 770 rx paired to my JR 9303 tx.
What would be the best fuel tank? I was thinking one of the round Slimline (I think Slimline makes them) would be ideal for this plane.
Ball links are a must to eliminate slop - DuBro ball links any good?
Sullivan pull-pull for the rudder.
What would be the best pushrod setup?

Any other comments or suggestions are very much appreciated!