RCU Forums - View Single Post - Futaba 7c TX crystal change
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2006, 04:16 PM
Jackster00

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Futaba 7c TX crystal change

Interesting can of worms (so to speak) I opened. Actually. at my home field, changing crystals was brought up after a fellow member was offering a NIB 7C Futaba (one of 2 he'd bought) for sale for $110. I've known this guy for a few years and have found him to be an honest person. He personally said nothing about my lament that it was the wrong channel, but everyone else there had their own opinions. I know very little about radios and actually could see nothing wrong with taking one crystal out and putting another one in. It seemed at first blush that having to send the TX in, was just a way for the mfr. to bleed more money out of us. I went to Futaba's website and read up on this, which mentioned the FCC rule. Again, being highly skeptical of the Govt., I decided to ask the question here. I think that having the choice of simply buying a crystal and installing it, and setting myself/club up for a possible lawsuit (and losing the AMA insurance) IF something were to go terribly wrong, sending the TX in, and paying $20 plus $8 for their shipping charges and additional shipping to get it to their shop, or paying $160 for a unit from the dealer with my channel already on it, for the few sheckels difference, I'll just go the safe, sure route and buy from my "favorite store".
Thanx for everyone's contributions. Jackster