RCU Forums - View Single Post - Newbie to scratch building
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2006, 04:46 PM
AeroDave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Newbie to scratch building

I started designing and scratch building glow powered funfly/3D models about 5 years ago. I had decades of kit building experience so i figured I knew what was needed interms of structural design. I bet I built a good dozen variations of my "design" until I got one that really flew the way I wanted it to. I learned over time the effect of changes to tail moment, hieght of the stab, stuff like that. They all flew (except one, long story) but some had some really odd tendencies in the air. I really had a lot of fun, building one, trying it out and then taking all the gear out to try and build the next one just that much better. Until last weekend, all I had were hand tools. Ribs took so long to cut out. And dealing with lite ply was a real chore. Then Saturday my wife went shopping and came home with a new band saw, scroll saw and disc sander! Good girl! So of course, I started building right away. This new one is looking good!

Anyway, I write all this to say go for it! I didn't know what to do or how to start, so I just started. At least by doing it wrong, I had something to fix. I woud say this: for your first one, try to model your design after something that already exists in terms of wing span, area, airfiol and moments. That way you'll be sure you'll get something that will at least fly.
Most of all have fun! Designing and building your own models will become a great source of pride and satisfaction.

Best of luck,
Dave