RCU Forums - View Single Post - Building and Flying WWI Biplanes etc.
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2002, 03:42 PM
jchumley
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building and Flying WWI Biplanes etc.

I have limited flying experience (Almost ready to solo) and just finished building a Fourstar 60
( http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jchumley/fourstar.jpg, easy to build, looks good, waiting for weather to fly ) .

I am embarking on an ambitious project, a Proctor Nieuport 28. I have extensive experience in wood working so I think I can handle the buillding. I also work a few blocks form THe Smithsonian Air and Space where I can peruse the restoration documentation for the N28 they restored a few years ago. I have no Idea what it is like to fly one though. I have heard differing opinions about flying WWI biplanes. Am I going to end up with a great looking (I hope, I hope, I hope) plane that is no fun to fly or is it a matter of set up and expectations?

Some posts have mentioned the need for coordinated turns. What are coordinated turns?

While I am asking, I am converting a homelite 33cc to power this plane. (I would love a five cylindar radial but I could cojnvert five of these engines for less $). Will the 33cc be too much power?
Lets see. That about covers it for now. Mostly I guess I want some insight into actually flying these things.

Thanks,
Jeff