RCU Forums - View Single Post - CG Chipmunk mods
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2006, 07:42 PM
jamsam
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CG Chipmunk mods

I have mine all framed up and now finish sanding. I have a couple gripes/mods that I'll pass along:

I read about the landing gear so I beefed up the blocks and epoxied a brass tube into the torque block so the thick music wire has a better bearing surface. I hope it's OK - I'll just plan on making every landing soft. Yea, right. . . .

I couldn't see the logic in the plastic wing tips and belly pan. I made balsa tips and a built up balsa belly pan that both should be easier to cover.

I didn't like the rudder pushrod exit coming out the top of the fuse, so I'm trying to add an arm coming out the side of the fuse (opposite from the elevator pushrod) and connecting it to the wire that's between the tail wheel and rudder. Not sure how well this is going to work out, but maybe it'll look a bit nicer.

I stuck w/ the ABS cowl. Heard all the horror stories, but didn't want to spend $ on a glass cowl. I just took my time trimming and joining the halves and I think it looks OK. ABS wheel pants came out OK too, but not sure how well these will work out on our grass strip.

The canopy that came w/ my kit was not formed properly. CG promptly replaced it, but when I later found defective wood and notified them, they didn't reply. The sheeting is some oddball thickness (5/64" I believe?).

You cannot soak the balsa sheets that bend along the top long enough. I didn't try the alcohol trick though. . .

I'm using flaps just because it should be fun. Dual aileron servos for the wing. OS 61FX up front.

The comments on the Rx batteries seems risky to me. I'd suggest just sticking w/ your stock batteries.

I really enjoyed watching Art Scholl fly when I was growing up. So I'm looking forward to a little nostalgia when I get this in the air.