RCU Forums - View Single Post - CG Chipmunk mods
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2006, 10:06 PM
preich

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CG Chipmunk mods

I finished my CG Chipmunk after an 18 year hiatus. Yes believe it. I started it 18 years ago. Built the wing and fuse, then shelved it in favour of raising two kids and putting them through college.

I too read about the LG problem. I call CG and talked to a great old guy there who built 3 of the prototypes in 3 weeks back then. (I say old...he's probably my age!) He told me about a LG mod they made that was probably not included in mine. I cut out some of the shear webbing and sure enough, the triangle stock bracing was not there. I added that and beefed everything else up that I could. One of the major weekness was in the ply included in the kit for the gear torque blocks. The ply was not 100% laminated. I drilled several 1/64 holes through the ply and soaked in thin CA in an effort to stiffen things up. I bought new 3/16 wire and made a new set of gear bent an addition 10-15 degrees to put the axles ahead of the LE. This helps the nose over problem. I added robostruts, silver soldering the entire assembly, ie strut, adapted and gear wire, instead of using the set screws. I'm hoping these mods take care of the gear issues. At least make it a little more robust.

The bellcranks worked out fine for me and they looked good and solid, but I scrapped them in favor of dual servos. I bought a computer radio and want to fool around with the flexability of two.

I powered mine with and OS 91 surpass 4 stroke swinging a 14X7 prop. I mounted it inverted and used a slimline pitts style muffler. (great piece of hardware and a great company to deal with) Using a remote headlock, it can be completely cowled in. But, I cut-out the cowl around the head to allow a conventional starter cell. Cowled in, for cooling, it just look too tight to me.

I built mine with flaps. You guys that built with flaps then without....Why did you loose the flaps second time around?

I think Art Scholl was a great guy and a great pilot. But, I think the Pennzoil scheme is just too tired. I finished mine in the Steve Oliver Oregon Aero SkyDancer scheme. (Formally the Pepsi SkyDancer) It's one of a kind and every bit as eye-catching.

Next stop is the Great Planes Super Chipmunk 1.20 ARF with smoke for me. Problem is it can ONLY be had in a Pennzoil scheme. I called GP and inquired about special ordering it uncovered and was told it can't be done. Even the replacement wing and tail group arrive from the vendor covered. I'll either have to strip it and re-cover it or live with it.

On the battery, I'd stick with a high capacity NiCad or go NmH. LiPo's there are more trouble than you stand to gain in weight savings or capacity. Even if you used 5 digital servos, I'd think a 1200 mAh NiCd would give you plenty of flight time between charges. I run Lipos on small electric park flyers and they are finicky, expensive and delicate.

Hope that helped.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25687.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	459592   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71295.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	459593