RCU Forums - View Single Post - Goldberg Ultimate 10-300 build
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2006, 09:48 AM
tuwood

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Goldberg Ultimate 10-300 build

ORIGINAL: maekju

Tony,
I just happen to come across this thread and you're really doing a great job on your model. Sorry to hear about the mishap with your first Ultimate. I think we've all been there before. I started on my Ultimate a couple of months ago but got deployed to Iraq [:@] I had just finished framing up the wings. Now I won't get back to it for 6-12 months [] Anyway, by that time I'll have some more funds and I can add lots of goodies to my model I've gotten so many great ideas from you and the other contributers in this post. I noticed your aileron servo arms exit the top of the bottom wing. I was wondering is there any reason the aileron servo arms can't exit from the bottom of the bottom wing? It's been awhile since I've been able to look at my kit but I remember for some reason I wanted to have the servos exit the bottom of the bottom wing. I think to me it just gave the model a cleaner look, at least from the top. I also noticed that quite a few people are using the Sato 125. I have a old YS 120 SC I was planning on putting on mine. Any advantages of using the Sato over the YS?
Keep up the good work. I'll be following your build.
Well, first and foremost thanks for your service in Iraq. I did 6 years in the Navy and spent 4 months in the Gulf during the first Gulf War. I never knew a place could get so hot...

I'm glad you've been able to get some good ideas out of this thread. I certainly have learned a lot.

As for the Aileron arms, you could easily have them come out the top or the bottom. The wings are fairly thin and symetrical, so you could stick the servo arm on either side and it would work just fine. Obviously you'd have the risk of whacking the servo arm on a bumpy landing, but you'd probably have bigger problems if that part of the wing was whacking the ground.

My draw to the Saito 1.25 was the light weight of it. I believe the weight of the YS 120 would be a little more, but I'm not sure. I'm sure there are some others that could tell you more about the engine comparison.

I'm going to go flying today, but I'll be working on mine tonight. Oh crap, never mind the wife wants me to take her out to dinner for Mothers Day... Grrr [:@] hehe Boy, it's hard to find time to build in the summer.

Stay safe!