RCU Forums - View Single Post - How is the G-75 Ringed Super Tiger?
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2006, 05:30 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: How is the G-75 Ringed Super Tiger?

I know that a current trend in this hobby is to "over power" a plane. But you can't always just shove a bigger motor in a plane. Too many people do that without taking into consideration the downside of over powering their planes, and the results are crashed planes. Trust me, I've seen more than I can count in the 10 years that I've been in this hobby.
1. One important thing to think about is wing loading. You're going to add a bunch of weight to an airframe, which is going to make the wing loading higher. I'm not talking about just the weight of the motor, because more than likely you're going to have to add weight to the tail of the plane in order to get the plane to balance correctly. This added weight is going to change the way the plane flies.
2. Another thing to think about it the actual airframe of the plane. You have to remember that the plane was designed to handle power output of a 40 sized motor. Putting a motor that is almost double the size it was designed for is going to add stress to the airframe. It's possible to strengthen the airframe of the plane to handle the added power, and this is going to add to the overall weight of the plane (see above). A lot of times people will add too much when they try to beef up the airframe, which just adds more to the weight issue. If the airframe isn't strengthened it's a real possibility that a bigger motor can tear the plane apart.
3. This isn't a downside of putting a bigger motor on a plane, but more it's a downside for flying. A lot of pilots these days use a big motor as a crutch when they fly. Instead of learning to actually fly the plane, they will put a huge motor on the plane that can pull the plane out of any situation. IMHO this actually hinders a pilots skills.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't put it on there, but I just wanted to give you a few things to think about. I know that it's a common practice these days to over power a plane, but I think it's a mistake to do that. IMHO you should go with the biggest motor that the plane designers call for. In some cases you can miss out on a really sweet plane by putting a motor on it that it wasn't designed for.

Just my 2ยข worth

Ken