RCU Forums - View Single Post - Set Ups for 3D Buddies
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2006, 12:27 PM
push rodz
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Set Ups for 3D Buddies

Okay........so maybe this has been hashed out before although I don't find any threads where this is discussed in great depth. Here's what I'm working on -

I just purchased a 3D Buddy Edge 540.......been wanting a Buddy since they came out like forever ago but was too cheap to lay out the bucks on a disposable plane......... So, what I'm looking for is some power suggestions for this bird. I did not order the complete combo from Ultra RC as I have my own gear that I want to try. So check this out and let me know which set up is maybe going to work.

Plan 1:
Himax 2015-4166 with a TP 1320 mAh 3-cell and a CC 25 amp ESC. I would like to try the 12x6 SF prop with this set up first and then work in to another prop size if needed.
This is probably the lightest set up that I currently have (for this size plane) and am hoping it will provide the power needed for this bird (for obvious reasons).......

Plan 2:
Himax 2025-4266 with a TP 1800 mAh 3-cell and the same ESC as above. Will try the same prop as well.
This is acutally a good power set up however the increased weight is definitely an issue 'cause it then becomes a freekin' anchor. But the bright side is that the Buddy may be able to handle this kind of power/weight - that's what I don't know yet.

Other Available Motors:
Himax 2812-0850
BP21

I'm currently looking at the Max Amps 1000 mAh 3-cell which is a 15C/20C rated battery as alternative power for the Himax 2025 motor. Yeah.....it's a bit small in the mAh department but the weight is 2.7 oz. When you jump up to the 1500 mAh battery the capacity is 12C/20C but the weight jumps up to 4.6 oz. another freekin anchor!

The Gold Rate "Dualsky" batteries are all 20C/30C rated and is really my primary choice (over the Max Amps batteries). The 1000 mAh 3-cell weighs 3.1 oz. ; the 1200 mAh 3-cell weighs 3.9 oz. ; and the 1500 mAh 3 -cell weighs 4.7 oz.

So.....with the information that I've listed - please let me hear from you who have "been there and done that" so I can mount the right gear the first time. All input is appreciated.